Author Topic: heat treatment equipment  (Read 7154 times)

Offline scp

heat treatment equipment
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:21:13 pm »
Even though heat treatment works well, it is too time-consuming and tedious to do it with a heat gun. Of course, it would be possible to use more than a few heat guns or halogen lamps in tandem. But only if you can manage not to blow the fuse. Has anyone here tried to use some other "non-primitive" equipments like a flexible heating element? Is there even such a thing that is capable of producing 400 degrees Fahrenheit but still available to an ordinary consumer?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:55:12 pm by Hillbilly »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: heat treatment equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:41:17 pm »
Dunno. I've only heat treated a couple of bows and my $20.00 heat gun from Lowe's brown's the limb up fairly quick - even in my fair weather shop.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline scp

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:12 pm »
Cowbow, good for you. Frankly, spending an hour with a bow cannot be that bad. Holding the heat gun in the hand might be my problem. I should just make a heat gun holder. Any good design ideas other than the one in the Traditional Bowyer's Bible?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:08:21 pm »
Even though heat treatment works well, it is too time-consuming and tedious to do it with a heat gun.
Let me start by saying I'm not trying to be a smart Alec, I  mean this very sincerely.
I'm building bows with a rasp and a scraper and you ask if heat treating is too time consuming.  ??? I don't do it to mass produce as fast as I can, I do it because I enjoy spending the time doing it. A heat gun is plenty fast for me.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:48:59 pm »
blow torch ? >:D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:06 pm »
Even though heat treatment works well, it is too time-consuming and tedious to do it with a heat gun. Of course, it would be possible to use more than a few heat guns or halogen lamps in tandem. But only if you can manage not to blow the fuse. Has anyone here tried to use some other "non-primitive" equipments like a flexible heating element? Is there even such a thing that is capable of producing 400 degrees Fahrenheit but still available to an ordinary consumer?

Yes. Fire. It's cheap. A bed of coals works pretty good to toast a bow belly over if you're careful. I think Marc has used an electric hotplate before, and I've tried a coleman campstove. Still hard to beat the heat gun.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:47 pm »
Has anyone ever done a pig in a dirt pit I wonder if you dug a small trench along the fire pit and buried a floor tillered bow a bout two foot off  about two foot deep next to the pit would it be  a more primitive form of heat tempering or would it just char the thing to death and be like kiln drying  and make a crispy  critter? just thinking out loud !

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:23:16 am »
That might work, if you buried the coals in sand, and lay the bow across the top.  I think that if you buried it, you would get more of a baked potato effect, rather than just heating the belly.  I recall from Marc's article in PA, that he did use a hot plate.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:38:17 am »
I never noticed that heat treating a bow belly with a hand held heat gun took any longer that any other bow building technique...and who's in a rush anyway!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:39:09 am »
Ive heard it said many times,and i concur,that the best tool a bowyer has is Patience.

Offline scp

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:06:55 am »
I'm also concerned about the evenness of the heat treatment. Not to mention the waste of electricity unless you can also use the heat generated where you live. After some Googling, I found out that we can actually get the specialty flexible heaters used in laboratories. Frankly, I'm not into gadgets enough to bother further. But I sure would like to know the way to apply the heat more evenly. Probably just more patience?

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:20:50 am »
 I changed my method a bit a few years ago and it seems to work well as far as keeping it even. I wave the gun back and forth from one end of the limb to the other at about 2 seconds per pass. Takes about 20 min or so and the limb will just start to deepen in color a bit, the back side will bejust to hot to keep your hand on it. I stop there, no scorch or burn marks just a deeping of color and I call it done. Steve

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 01:25:47 am »
Good method!!!!

Offline scp

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:23 am »
Badger, that's what I have been doing. Mainly because I am still looking for the better way to hold the heat gun. Have you tried hot sand, hot stone, or the pressing iron?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 01:53:34 am »
I read about a guy that tempered his boo in a pizza oven. Know anyone at Domino's.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC