Author Topic: Bamboo backed and belly with Cedar core okay?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Primitive1

Bamboo backed and belly with Cedar core okay?
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:09:06 pm »
For other reasons I had to fell a Cedar tree in my backyard, it was healty and the trunk is straight, almost branch free for well over 6' and about 7" in diameter.  I've been wanting to make a couple of 'D' bows with my son and to add a little spazzas was thinking of them with a boo back (thinned as much as possible and trapped) and belly (nodes convex).  Thoughts?  I'm thinking they'd be very light in the hand and quick!
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Bamboo backed and belly with Cedar core okay?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:55 pm »
eastern red cedar should work as a core wood. If its any other type of cedar I'd just make some arrows from it.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:15:09 pm »
Unless it's incense cedar. Incense cedar is not directly related to other north american cedars. I believe it may be the only calocedrus in the US. Correct me if im wrong. The limb is better than the trunk, and if not properly treated. It will dry out too much and become brittle

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:54:45 pm »
Well, the tree had to be 70' tall at least, no blue berrries but it could be a male of the species...the woods around here (Missouri)are full of them but it's very hard to decipher whether or not it's eastern, western or otherwise!  I'd hate to spend the effort if the results will be doomed from the onset...
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:08:10 pm »
If you can post some pics of the tree I'm sure someone here can ID the tree for you for sure. Try to get pics of the bark, wood, leaves/needles and possibly cones/fruit if possible.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:14:11 pm »
I combed over the Web looking pics between ERC and WRC and this must be ERC...I don't have the 'fern' type leaves of the WRC and the wood fresh cut is purple with about a 1/2" of sapwood, bark also comes off in long strips as once used in cordage...I'm getting excited...gonna get sonny-boy to work with me this afternoon to split the trunk up and rough shape so we can put this green wood on some forms to dry...hoping for some reverse handle boo backed/bellied bows from this...we'll see...any recommendations on drying time in a hot box?
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 04:46:17 pm »
Since you live in Missouri, and the trees are growing wild there, it's ERC.   Western Red Cedar's range is limited to the Pacific Coast.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:58:59 pm »
Thanks KenH...nice to have a little support in the process!  Quartered the log out today...4 staves waiting until tomorrow when I can strap them to a deflex/reflex form and pop them in the hot box...
Cedar Hill, MO