Author Topic: learning to shoot  (Read 5856 times)

Offline jnoel2279

learning to shoot
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:39:38 pm »
what is the best advice you'll can give me for learning to shoot instinictual (sp).I'm new to the sport and I would like to learn how to and if I can learn to shoot, before i jump into this sport and get the wife mad at me again. Please help. thanks in advanced and God Bless

Offline woodstick

Re: learning to shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:53:47 pm »
get ya a bow that is not to strong for ya. shoot alot. i just look at what i want to hit and sling wood. shoot the same every time. i video myself when i first started and could see what i was doing wrong. dont shoot till you wear yourself out you pick up bad habits. use the same anchor point every time. oh ya shoot alot. shoot good.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline jnoel2279

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:05:05 pm »
is there a difference in left or right handed  bows for this topic? I'm a south paw , and in the past i wolud shoot a compound bow and it was left handed set at 70#. what would you advise?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:32:15 am »
I learned instinctive shoot by reading G.Fred Asbell's book, INSTINCTIVE SHOOTING. He goes through it all step by step and in simple terms and explains his methods so even I could understand.  ;D
   There are left and right handed bows. Depending on which style bow you will be shooting some grips are more interchangeable than others.  If you are used to shooting a 70# compound I would suggest you buying an inexpensive bow pulling 45# to 50#. That way you can learn to shoot without straining and once you get it down you can build yourself a more suitable bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:22:26 pm »
Get the book Shooting the Stickbow by Anthony Camera. It's THE book on how to shoot a bow. It coveres absolutely everything you could think of, and even some stuff you never would have ;D!

Offline swimbill

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:21:57 pm »
I would look to see if there is an archery range near you, someone there could give you a lesson on the basics before you pick-up any bad habits.  As far as left and right that is determined by which eye is dominant, you will need to know that first of.  Good luck archery is a great sport, I have been teaching it to children for over 7 years.
swimbill

Offline jnoel2279

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:35:28 pm »
Ok really I'm right handed, but I shoot left handed because I am left eye dominate. also how many people are in the sca? everybody around here seems like they are in it but they are more into the armory and medevil things, I want to learn to shoot for hunting purposes. Thanks aain and please keep the info comming.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »
 I'm left eye dominate also and shoot right handed. I have to agree with woodstick, shoot a lot with a lite bow. Get one of those cheap glass bows and just have fun hitting stuff. When you start to feel good then make you a heavier hunting weight bow.
  I believe the most important thing you will find shooting instinctive or any style is to always hit your anchor point before you release.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:32:42 pm »
I am pretty new to bow shooting. i have been making decent progress. I just read "Become the Arrow" by Byron ferguson. I haven't been able to get out much, but the few times I did, it made a big difference for me.
chasing crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:41:47 pm »
The way to get good with instinctive shooting(actually any shooting) is to shoot and shoot a lot. Concentrate on each shot, concentrate on every aspect of your form, concentrate on your release and shoot, shoot, shoot!  I don't think being left eye dominant is that critical for a right handed instinctive shooter. I know a few folks that shoot both right and left handed. For a hunter that is the best situation to be in.  I think your best bet would be to shoot both left and right handed bows and see what works best for you.
  I don't know where you live but the archery shoot circuit is fixing to open up for the year and at most shoots are venders that sell new and used bows. Try as many as you can to see what works best for you.
  Another option is to go but a $5 board from Home Depot and come back and we will help you build a bow you can shoot either right or left hand.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 03:28:38 am »
                                 Now that last Statement....Is the Best Option.......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:03:29 am »
find somewhere with a bunch of baby gator gar that are about two foot long and shoot em when they come up to breath.  >:D if that dont make you throw your bow in the water and stomp home, then you will deffinently make a good archer.  :P

in all serriousness, just do like the others said. go to a pawn shop or something and buy a cheap longbow and shoot alot. it'll come to you.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:16:52 pm »
A really good tecnique that will make you a good shot, and help you improve later on, is blank baling. This is where you concentrate on what you're doing, and not where the arrow goes. You make sure each movement and action, every aspect of your form, is as good as you can get it. This helps your body remember without also having to work on aiming- which requires absolute concentration. Once your form is solid, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to work on accuracy and aiming. I'm right handed and right eye dominant but with proper form I've managed to shoot left handed and actually hit what I'm aiming at. Take that common sense and reason >:D!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »
kegan i need to try that.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Grunt

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 09:55:58 am »
Use a small target, look at it hard and say to yourself anchor, anchor, anchor!!!!