Author Topic: 2nd BBI  (Read 10060 times)

Offline StickandString88

Re: 2nd BBI
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:38 pm »
Great looking bow!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:06 pm »
Great bow there Nate!!!   Tiller looks great and so do the snakeskins.... Beautiful finish work!    :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 10:26:39 pm »
Thanks Everyone for the nice comments.

Rich, especially means a lot coming from the guy who "discovered" Ipe.  Nah didn't eat this snake, but then again I didn't kill it either :)

Brownhillboy, thanks for the compliments...as far as the arrows I cheated with those as well.  They are pre-straightened and spined shafts that I got from David Knight.  Also cheated by using plastic nocks LOL.
Nate Danforth

Rich Saffold

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 10:52:52 pm »
Nate, I have had some large pythons and boas when I was younger, and I regret never skinning my 12' male Columbian Redtail when it kicked.  My twisted sense of humor is a result  of working on the bottom of the ocean for years longer than I probably should have :o ;D

That was a very beautiful snake and this is a great way to remember it..

Rich

Offline NTD

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 11:36:03 pm »
My thoughts exactly Rich.  I have some really special snakes and while I don't look forward to them dying I know that they will live on in a way on the back of a nice bow.
Nate Danforth

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 11:46:22 pm »
NTD you did a great job on this one.. Cant wait to see your next one.. ;)

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 01:25:26 am »
Thanks David.  The first BBI went to a friend..this one is mine...all mine...now that He has a bow and I've got a BBI in hand I've GOT to try a R/D,  the tiller on them scares the hell out of me though.

Those shafts you sent me are great..turned out some nice arrows.  Now where the heck are those Mojaves I sent you?  Too much hog hunting not enough bow making :)

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline barebo

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 07:50:15 am »
Your tiller is really making me envious!!! I just finished my first Ipe - backed with Ash. I was (still am!!) amazed at how much material you can remove and still retain tremendous tension. I'm also envious at the beautiful, smooth finish on your belly. Can you tell me what tools you used and how you obtained such a nice finish ?? Just a Beautiful, Graceful example - NICE !!!!!

Offline gmc

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 08:45:24 am »
I won't hardly look at anthing other than a selfbow but I really like the looks of this one. The skin is very unique and contrast quite nicely with the bow. Very nice indeed, good job on that bow. The arrows look nice too, nice overall rig for sure.

Greg
Central Kentucky

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 10:16:28 am »
Too much hog hunting not enough bow making

;D ;D :) ;)

Offline NTD

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 10:38:16 am »
Wow thanks for the nice compliments Barebo and GMC.  Barebo, I used a rasp to rough out, Mystik Scraper for most of it and a cabinet scraper for final tiller.  Finished with a bit of sandpaper then Tru-Oil with steel wool between coats.  I LOVE the Mystik scraper on Ipe, it makes wood removal easy and keeps the ipe smooth.  I keep it sharp by running it on my belt sander for a few seconds.                   David, that is a valid reason to take a respite from making shavings.
Nate Danforth

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 11:03:36 am »
sir,  i like the look of your bow very much.  couple of questions though,  how much string follow did you have and did you follow the width from your handle to mid limb and then taper to the tips? 

Offline NTD

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 12:19:16 pm »
Hi Luke,  as you can see in the picture it has taken no string follow.  It has of course taken some set, a little over an inch.  The bow is 1.25" wide until midlimb and tapers to 3/8" tips.

Nate Danforth

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 11:28:06 am »
most excellent job on this bow NDT i love the colors of the snake skin  hope my bow looks this good when i get done with it :) ttys

sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 03:51:24 pm »
beeeautiful!!!