Author Topic: Osage backed osage longbow  (Read 4212 times)

Rich Saffold

Osage backed osage longbow
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:05:54 pm »
Here is my latest bow   70"ntn 63#@29"  I got some real nice straight wood from Tim Ott, and Thanks again!. I  always wanted to try a bow like this, and I'm sure its not the first one like this, but for me it is and I never seen one which made it more interesting. I hope like the IBI I posted that a few others here give this style a shot.

I'll put more pics and edit these soon after I put a grip on it.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Osage backed osage longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:09:12 pm »
NICE!!!!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »
Looks simple, clean and deadly Rich :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:21:54 pm »
 Very nice bow Rich, Glad to see that your still venturing into uncharted territories. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:54:35 pm »
Very nice, Rich. Such a skinny little thing!  I like everything about it.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:08:00 pm »
Sweet bow Rich, nice profile. You cant tell from the pictures that it is backed.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »
Rich, another fine bow, awesome profile, I bet it flat zipps em arrows.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 06:11:27 pm »
Thanks guys!,

Like the other bow its really more of a laminated bow  since now that I really look at the glue line it is around 50% in the handle section and about 70% backing at the tips. 

Dano, yer right ;) its a fun bow to shoot and handles lighter than usual arrows without any thump too..

Pat, I had to chuckle since I just rode back from the Campus Pool and your post kinda describes the lifeguard today. but she had more of an "Ipe tan".

Keenan. Brock Johnson mentioned he had made a bow like this. Maybe he will chime in..It's hard to think of truly unique combinations which would perform at a high level, and hopefully by the end of the day I'll have a string on one thats Ipe backing osage. Tim gave me some fine wood and I really am enjoying it.

I can't harvest osage here..at least legally..we do have 3 trees in town that look pretty straight too...

Thanks Josh and Dana M..If Tim has more of this wood, I bet it won't last long.. ;D

Offline bcbull

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:50 pm »
HEY  RICH JUST GOT TO MY ROOM  I WAS IN N CAROLINA  IM IN MARSHALL  NOW GOT IN AT 2 AM  NOW CUTTIN OSAGE STAYIN WITH BUDDIES AS ROADS ARE SNOWED IN I RELLEY LIKE THAT BOW LOOKS GOOD  KENEEN  I MADE ONE LIKE THAT A YEAR AGO WITH IPE AND A 1/8  OSAGE BACK  CAME IN AT 43 LBS   RELLEY ZIPPED A ARROW WAS AT 186 ON CRONO  I  PLAN TO MAKE ANOTHER HIGHER POUNDAGE TO HUNT  WITH SOON   BROCK

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:23 pm »
Good looking bow Rich
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:59:37 pm »
I'de hafta  agree-that's  sweet:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 11:02:59 pm »
That  looks great Rich. Never thought of that. how did you find osage worthy of using as a backing?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:17:17 am »
Jesse, I've always wanted to use Osage as a backing, and  like any good self bow wood its strong in both tension and compression which allows this style of bow to work.This bow is like a straight self longbow split down the middle and re-glued in a r/d limb profile. Of course being clean , straight-grained is necessary, and getting these edge-grained slats from Timo made it possible. 

"Backed" may not be proper terminology, but I have a hard time with "laminate" in this case..Sounds to compromising or "modern" ;)

Thanks Marc, I've seen your longbows and I hope you try one of these.  Cost, ease of construction, and performance may be obvious, but the real reason it's different enough to Keep it interesting.

Thanks Zen, This bow taught me a bundle and I plan on many more..

Rich

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:24:08 am »
Wow Rich that is some good food for thought, I bet the ipe combo would be good.

Bcbull, thanks for the input. nice to hear what is possible. 183 at 43 lbs is impressive.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 02:42:05 am »
how is it tillered so that at full draw it looks as if the handle area looks like it is only bending?

I like this different style