Author Topic: Boo backing have to be continuous through handle?  (Read 9632 times)

Offline Primitive1

Boo backing have to be continuous through handle?
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:51:58 am »
Hi all, it's been awhile...hmmm, looks like things heated up some while I have been away?  Anyway, great to back on the forum...lots has happened but that's for another post. 
I have a 'limb' of osage that I've heated into a deflex/reflex design...I've flattened the back and belly on the limbs only and can see the osage core wood approximately  1" on the bottom limb and 3/4" on the top limb along their respective lengths (of course it gets somewhat less as you approach the handle due to the thickness increase).  I've deflexed about 2 and 1/2" from the handle and then reflexed about 2" back out to the tips...my issue/question is, since I'm going to have to boo the back (and maybe belly) to maintain the shape and I want to go with the bamboo (got quite a bit laying around).  However, I would like to keep the handle 'as is' where it is just the actual limb where it has the bark intact etc...can I boo the back without having to keep a continuous strip of boo from tip to tip?  In other words, one piece of boo for one limb back and one piece of boo for the other (thinned as much as possible to avoid over-stressing the belly)?  I would like to keep the belly 'as is' since it looks suhweet with the contrast of core osage and white sap wood...just hoping the belly can take it since it has the original sap wood/bark limb edges that I would like to maintain...thoughts?  Thanks, P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Gordon

Re: Boo backing have to be continuous through handle?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:22:11 am »
Yes, as long as the two pieces of bamboo meet in the handle area and the handle is non-bending.
Gordon

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:13 am »
Gordon, thanks for the reply...can you help me understand your meaning of 'meet' in the handle?  I'm wanting to start the boo at the beginning of the fade outs and run it out to the tips...do you mean that the boo needs to be in an unbending section of, or near, the handle area?  Thanks, P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:02 am »
If the boo is on the back they need to but up against each other. Starting a backing at the fades is asking for trouble unless you tie them down.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:00:09 pm »
Here are some pics to better explain...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:15:07 pm »
                                                    Whatever you Do....DON'T DO THIS............... ;D

This was a Super Stave that I paid 140 bucks for ...and this was the Design that the Back Bamboo was in when I got it...a Major design Flaw...and I found out the Hard Way....almost lost my Right Eye with this one.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:25:36 pm »
I agree  the boo must meet in the handle, other wise its risky the fibres of the boo will  likely be stretching past the fades, if it works near the handle
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:11:43 pm »
Having the bamboo terminate at the fades would be highly problematic in my view.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:30 pm »
It was in My View too...but I bought this Super Stave from Rudderbows...the Maker was I believe to be Vern Olstead...I believe from Washington State...and this is the Second one I bought...the first let go in a Glue Seam...and this one about put my eye out on a Tiller Stick when it Blew.... :'(
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:06:48 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:56 pm »
Ballsy move selling stuff like that to the public. Must have good insurance.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:37 pm »
Primitive1, you might have a chance of it turning out. I would probably do it just because. But I don't mind breaking a bow either.  ;) I would have a node about 1 inch from the riser end of the bamboo to keep the stress from transferring to the power fibers on the end.  Leave at least 4" of stiff riser outside of where the bamboo starts. And when you tiller, PLEASE do as George says and use a tillering TREE, not a tillering stick. If it does let go you do NOT want to be pulling it by hand.

El D, That isn't just a backing that doesn't go all the way, that is a whole limb that doesn't. The way that is designed it should have had bolts to hold the limbs on. You didn't have a chance.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:20:11 pm »
El D, That isn't just a backing that doesn't go all the way, that is a whole limb that doesn't. The way that is designed it should have had bolts to hold the limbs on. You didn't have a chance.

Like I said....Bought it from Rudderbows....but they don't handle them any more....Imagine that........ >:(....I am out $160 and almost had one eye.....You are right...but then Hindsite is 20-20...should have never bought it with the way it was designed...but then they said that They had sold thousands of them just like it...when they replaced the first one...and I was stupid enough to try it again....dang Him ...His Bow Blanks and His Dachshunds he has all over Him all the time.....He was from Dabob Bay...or some place...Dabob Bows is who Rudder was buying the Staves from at the time I bought it...I think this Guy is out of Business or possibly Dead by now....maybe someone els knows.............. :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:28:14 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:24:11 pm »
but then they said that They had sold thousands of them just like it...
Fairly easy claim to make.... How many lived is the question you should have asked.  ;D >:D

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »
Just for conversation, there used to be a guy on the net that sold bow blanks, called Dabob, his bows were just like El D's, maybe these were super staves. I finished two of them for a friend, not a bad design, maybe lucky on my part I don't know. Don't know that I'd build a bow that way, prolly more like Gorgon said a nice mitered joint in the handle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 08:29:10 pm »
Thats them....read my Post up above..........
2024...We Will Overcome