Author Topic: Stillwell and pine tree  (Read 5719 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Stillwell and pine tree
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 02:12:01 am »

Well, I can tell you, I see what needs to be done, and sometimes it sorta works, and most of the time, it becomes gravel. >:(  Hey, when are you coming down, to enjoy the warm sunshine of Florida? ;D  You can go Frog Giggin with Eddie...... 8)

Wayne

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 02:21:30 am »
That wasn't a proper answer Wayne.  I really don't know any secret though.  I will say, I don't use a sharp flaker.  I can't get one that's real sharp to throw a flake like that. The neg. bulb is too deep and it leaves too much of a delta. Plus, it's hard to get a big bite on a super thin edge without crushing it.  I like a wide, thin tipped flaker that will flex ever so slightly when I put the pressure to it. That way when the flake detaches, the flaker stays in contact with it a little longer, thus driving it farther. Kinda like antler.
  On the pine trees, I built a good slick convex preform with absolutly no overhang on the edge. Shape it to exactly the shape the point will be and give it one pass one each edge. After the first pass on one edge, I shear it to move the platform towards the other edge and repeat.  One chance is all I get, cause by the time I finish all four sides, it's too thin to try again.
 Also, I knapp in my hand with a small piece of leather to protect my palm.  The flakes won't "bend" over the center of the point if you use a grooved pad. They need to be in gentle contact with something to keep them moving across the point. As for the curves... it's all inthe wrist. ;D 
 Here's a picture of my flaker.  Hope this helps a little. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:04 am »
To heck with the frogs! I want an Osceola!
 I reckon I'm gonna try to make it down the first weekend in March.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 02:38:54 am »

You could be snacking on frog legs, while waiting for an Osceola Tom to come to you...... ;)  Maybe you will be luckier this year...... 8)  They can be frustrating at times.
                                                                        Wayne

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 02:45:29 am »
I actually like frog legs better than turkey.  It's the killing part that's so much fun.  I'm a lot like Eddie when it comes to that.  "Happiness is a dead critter" >:D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 02:48:56 am »

Well, there you go.  Get yer frog legs, all cooked up, and go sit in the palmettos, or oak scrub, or pine scrub, and gobble, at each. ;)

Wayne

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 06:30:12 am »
Proper platform preperation prevents piss poor.....uuuggghhh  ???  I don't know  :-\   Really, I don't.  I just see what needs to be done, and try to do it.  Sometimes it works, sometime it don't. ;D

dude you are the rain man of flint knapping.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 02:07:28 am »

Jamie, that is the phrase I have been searching for, to describe him, that was socially printable! ;D

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 02:12:19 am »
Proper platform preperation prevents piss poor.....uuuggghhh  ???  I don't know  :-\   Really, I don't.  I just see what needs to be done, and try to do it.  Sometimes it works, sometime it don't. ;D

dude you are the rain man of flint knapping.  ;D

hee hee hee

i'm up for frog legs and and osceola too!

if things work out the wife and i will be in Daytona next month hope the arm weather sticks around that long down there  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 02:29:14 am »

Actually Sailordad, it probably will be warm by then, and the hotel pools filled.  These nice cold fronts usually don't last long, or are intermittent, at best. ;)

Wayne

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 10:22:04 am »
Very nice Shannon!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline StevenT

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 11:51:36 am »
Awesome points. Thanks for showing your flaker tip. I would just about kill to be able to run flakes like that, so I am trying to follow your description. I understand the good slick convex preform, but I don't really understand "absolutely no overhang on the edge"? What would overhang on the edge look like?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07:41 pm »
"Overhang", would be a combination of deltas and neg. bulbs left over from a previous run of flakes. It creates a very small area of concavity right along the edge.