Author Topic: unusual andeman bows  (Read 9626 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
unusual andeman bows
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:51:16 pm »
I just found this picture on another bow forum(atarn), I hope they didnt mind me taking it. Does anyone have an explanation for the strange 's' shape?, they didn't!!  . Otherwise they look just like  holmgaards. Thought you  people on PA might find it interesting too

[attachment deleted by admin]
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: unusual andeman bows
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »
I haven't a Clue...but I would really love to see a Full Draw of One of Them....just to see what the Tiller looked like.... :-\
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:31:00 pm »
looks like a hybrid paddle/holmie bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:36:20 pm »
Hi,  All the mentions I've seen of andeman bows remark on the S shape of the unstrung bow.  No good explanation has been made ( that I've seen).   The stiff/ narrow tips were also standard and are the reason that some people are referring to the stiff narrow tips designs as "Andeman / Holmgaard" style.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:42:44 pm »
Don't really know anything about these bows, but it always seems strange to me when someone (even if it's Tim Baker) talks of Andaman-Holmgaard style bows; these really large bows obviously have a VERY different conception to them than Holmegaard (or rather Mollegabet) bows. The only thing in common is this similarity of the narrowed tip.
Few more pictures:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:44:54 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:45:21 pm »
Ps: seems like the guy bracing his bow in the 3rd pic holds the bow upside down to do so!
Frank from Germany...

Offline tombo

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
MeThinks the "S" shape may be a way of building in a forgiving way to align the string.?? Or just something that started long ago and was handed down as a stylistic feature of these folks.    Tom

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:48:01 pm »
Comparing it with a yumi might help explain, as might an understaning of the materials.  I doubt it is osage or yew.  I also woner if they are kept strung.  Maybe the S lets you take advantage of the benefits of both reflex and deflex.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline tombo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 11:58:12 pm »
Also.... the more curves in the limbs...the more area of power storage.

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 12:09:34 am »
they are made from a number of trees, including the buttress roots of tropical rain forest trees i believe. i have held an original and they are surprising light (made from light weight wood) the tips are thin, stiff and non working. they are a bend through the handle design and the limbs have a very slightly convexed back, and slightly more convexed belly. the edges of the limbs come down to an almost razors edge. some bows i have a large ridg running down the back of the bow, full length and in the centre. the bows are also not as big as they look in the photos. i think the andaman people are a fairly small race (still living primitively today) which gives the impression they are bigger bows. i am not sure what game animals live on the andaman islands, but i think the bows were used for fishing also. the anaman people were apparantly known as the silent people, you didn't know they were there until you had an arrow through you!

i have made a couple of bows in this design and they are excellent selfbows. i know a prominant australian bowyer who prefers this bow design over any other for selfbows, as they work very well for our australian hardwoods. i don't know the reason for the 'S' shaped design and i haven't put that into mine.

i dont know how to insert images sorry so i can't show pics of mine or one with a ridge down the back.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:56:05 pm by otis.drum »
Cape York, Australia

Offline TBod

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:11:25 am »
otis.drum

IŽd really like to see those pics. You insert pics under additional options.

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 07:42:57 am »
note the large ridge running down the back of the bow.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:00:20 pm by otis.drum »
Cape York, Australia

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 07:49:05 am »
i hope these work

the first bow was based on the andaman idea with wide thin limbs and plenty of length. i changes trhe tips slightly for this bow though.

the next few shots are of another selfbow more closely representing the andaman bows. the tips were thicker than normal as the poundage was higher. both are made from australian hardwood called stringybark.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:03:52 pm by otis.drum »
Cape York, Australia

Offline otis.drum

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 06:53:34 pm »
1 andaman bow diagram

2 andaman islander shooting at a helicopter checking for survivors after the tsunami

3 andaman style bow by glenn newell made from australian grey ironbark

4 andaman style bow by glenn newell made from australian currawang

5 a selection of aussie hardwood selfbows. andaman on the right (not mine)

6 an original reversed bamboo bow from badu island (in the torres straights above cape york australia) they also made bows from black palm some of which had weights over 100#

Cape York, Australia

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 08:32:51 pm »
Nice bows...but why arent the andaman replica bows side profiles not the same as the andaman bnows.  Their profile looks normal to me.