Author Topic: processing nettle?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline aero86

processing nettle?
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:59:09 pm »
so nettle has so many uses.  and there is actually some growing near my house in an empty lot.  whats the best way to process it and can you harvest it already dead and dry?  id like to make some cordage out of it..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: processing nettle?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:47:22 pm »
I've never had a chance to use nettle, but I've read about using it for cordage.  I believe you want to harvest it after the frost, but get it before it deteriorates from the winter.  Then I think you pound it to release the fibers from the chaff.  I don't think that you get the fibers out the same as dogbane or milkweed but I could be wrong.
Traverse City, MI

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 11:26:34 pm »
I have harvested it alive, but i bet you could harvest it dry as long as it's not been too wet. I think it's best to harvest it at its peak height and before it starts to yellow or loose leaves.  I process it similar to dogbane: first squeese it hard to split it into 4 quarters. next take each quarter and prob'ly split it again. next take each split  hold onto it one inch(or less) from the end and bend it towards the bark till it breaks, then move your grip down the piece an inch and bend again. you are just breaking the pith, not the bark. After making breaks every inch, pick off the 1 inch sections with your fingers. next rub or pick off as much of the flaky outer bark as you can leaving mostly the silvery strands of fiber (inner bark). to get off the outer bark you can bundle several splits together and roll them between your palms. you can also use it with the outer bark on- your cordage will be a little lumpy and rough.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 11:14:06 am »
cool thanks guys!  i think ill leave the dead stuff by my house alone then.  i might try one to see though, how it holds up
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:43:15 am »
You might as well try. If it's not to rotten it might still hold up. My technique is somewhat simple. If you can crew a 3" lag bolt into the wall with a smooth shank hangin out you can work a small handful of stalks back and forth across the bolt and most of the dry pith and excess chaf will work out. It is helpful if they are dry though. Once you have most of the chaf out just rake it through a dry brush or some other kinda comb and "voila" some of the finest natural cordage material on the planet! Keep in mind if you can take a 12 inch section that's 1/8 in thick and pull it apart your material is rotten and not worth your time. Many time I have played with pieces thinner than that and it will cut your hand before you can pull it apart.

Enjoy! Let us know how it turns out.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 12:23:04 pm »
cool. ill try some if we get off work early today.