Author Topic: adding reflex ?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline knap_123

adding reflex ?
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:00:57 pm »
i'm working on a blk. walnut bow with a little bend in the handle. i want to add reflex so i added some sinew with knox and it did'nt appear to do anything.  so i couald'nt wait any longer and started to get it to brace height today.  but i think i might make some hide glue and add another layer of sinew and see if this will work.  does this sound reasonable or not?  and what wall mart dog treat is best used?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: adding reflex ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:09:37 pm »
Did you have the bow in reflex when you sinewed it?  I use 2x4 blocks to raise the tips a bit and the handle pulled down and tied to the form with thin string that can be removed or cut off later. How long is your bow? If too long the extra weight of the sinew and glue will defeat the purpose. You can add reflex by clamping the stave to a reflexed form and heat it well. After it cools completely (preferably over night) most of the reflex should remain. Don't put more than 3" of reflex in it either because it will overstress the wood and take more set.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:10:46 pm »
 If you tie it up into a little reflex and then apply your sinew it will hold a little reflex after the sinew and glue have dried. It works like gluing up a laminated bow that is clamped into a reflex to start with. Also over the years as the sinew and glue continue to cure it will keep drawing the bow into a tighter reflex. In the past I have had to go back and re tiller a bow to reduce the increase in draw weight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »
Look's like we were a minute apart, Pat ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knap_123

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:27:34 pm »
no, i did'nt,  but maybe i can take the sinew off and start over!?

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:48:34 pm »
and what wall mart dog treat is best used?

Are you trying to get sinew from a rawhide bone treat? I've never seen a sinew dog treat. ??? How long did you let the sinew cure?
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline knap_123

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:42:25 am »
no, no, okie.  i have lots of deer sinew from the backstrap.  but i'm out on this project. striped off the sinew and tryed to brace it a little in reflx and POP!  the belly gave out.  shouald have just left  it alone. :-\