Author Topic: Pacific Yew board  (Read 9227 times)

Offline Dauntless

Pacific Yew board
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:39:02 pm »
So with a little gift money burning a hole in my pocket (thank you grandma), I headed off to the local lumber store for a little red oak or maple board.  I found a lovely red oak plain sawn board 9ft by 6" that will become a handful of bows.  As I was leaving I headed over to the special woods section that holds mostly tropical woods.  It's chock full of 500$ pieces fit to make tables or nuclear shelters with.  This afternoon it also housed some Pacific Yew for some reason.  When I regained consciousness, I snapped up the best looking piece, 25$ for 6ft by a little more than 6" of straight, more or less knotty 30-35 rpi yew.

This is literally the first time I've touched or even seen yew in my life, it was the same thrill as finding a stone tool at a dig.

Now I just don't know what I can do with this piece.  The edges are at an angle, I can't use them as the back on an ELB.  Should I try two backed Neolithic flatbows?

Is this stuff even fit for bows?
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Gordon

Re: Pacific Yew board
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:57:37 pm »
That plank definitely has some bows in it. Use as laminations and back with hickory or bamboo.
Gordon

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:15:00 pm »
The edges are closer to square on the ends... Could you make billets from one end and still try an ELB?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:27:19 pm »
i'd make an all heartwood bow and forget about violating rings then back it with something strong
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:53:55 pm »
Question???

On a board like that, can you make two bows, one from each side?

Then you may have some wood from right down the middle to use with backing.

I'm getting the ELB bug, inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 11:25:27 pm »
I think the angle on the edges (that sapwood) is too low to allow me to make ELBs.  It's somewhere around 45 degrees in the middle there.  The board is only an inch thick too so I don't have much leeway.

I just ripped up the red oak board into 4 staves and 4 billets.  I wonder if red oak would suffice as a backing for this stuff.  It's really straight and I can't find Hickory in Manitoba.  I also have some linen canvas I cut into strips.

It's kind of ironic I'm making ELBs with the red oak staves.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 12:23:43 am »
Manitoba is staging a takeover of the forum today!  Love it!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:34:47 am »
Hey you've got some good armchair bow making to play with there.
Whacky idea... If you saw off the sap wood by setting your saw at the correct angle, you could maybe get two nice strips to use as backing.
So you could make a 'laminated self bow'. ;D
I think you are right, the plank isn't thick enough to get an ELB out of the edges.
Step a way from the saw....
I can see you are going to have a happy new year with that.
Del
(Whaaaa... EDIT! I meant to say you ARE right!)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:29:37 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:25:53 am »
Just wear a respirator when you start working that stuff! I bet you could get some yew core lams out of there, if you are creative with a saw. Make a Hickory backed ELB or something.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 11:59:11 am »
  Backed,bamboo or hickory.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:56:10 pm »
Well I figured to get into that heartwood I'd need to get rid of the sapwood.  So I ripped off about an inch and a half from one of the edges and came to the realization that I could make an ELB with it.  To do so I've cut it in half and intend to splice the thicker ends together.  It should make a thin splinter of a bow.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to be splicing.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:08 am »
Well I figured to get into that heartwood I'd need to get rid of the sapwood.  So I ripped off about an inch and a half from one of the edges and came to the realization that I could make an ELB with it.  To do so I've cut it in half and intend to splice the thicker ends together.  It should make a thin splinter of a bow.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to be splicing.
I'm jealous...I'm getting itchy fingers...must start another bow soon....I've been indoors too long...yowwwllllll.
(Be sure to post some pics)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:23:54 pm »
Well I thank the stars that epoxy is gap filling.  Hand tools in my inept hands doesn't make for perfectly fitted splices.  I went for a simple V splice because I didn't see myself fitting a Z or W splice on 1" of wood.  Now I'm starting to think there's way more sapwood than I should.  I don't know the theoretical basis of keeping the sapwood thin though.

The back is extra thin after I ripped some extra wood... from the wrong side.  Thats what I get for using power tools before coffee.  It varies from 1/3" to 3/4" over the length of the bow.  Just how tension strong is Yew anyways?

70" by 1" by 1" as of now.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:21:20 pm »
good find! how thick is the board? like gordon said, use the heartwood for bamboo backed bows, he knows how to build 'em ;D

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:35:12 pm »
I'm jealous of your find.  I may have to camp out at the local Windsor Plywood until something like this comes in!  Nice slippers, by the way.  Very much like the ones that show up in my photos!   ;D