Author Topic: Persimmon Wood  (Read 2514 times)

Offline BigErn

• Central Texas
Persimmon Wood
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:20:31 am »
         Persimmon Wood,
 What do you think about this wood?How does it hold up?DOES it rank up toward the top,for building a bow?
                                                                                                                          Ernie
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.

Lombard

Re: Persimmon Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:02:08 pm »
Big Ern, I am working with some Persimmon right now.

My first outing with Persimmon did not go very well.
I tried to dry it fast, and it did not like it. It split so bad that one could see
light through the cracks. Received another Persimmon log from Dave in SC, quartered it
shellaced the ends, and put most of it over head in my  barn to lose moisture slowly.

I did take one piece and roughed out a bow blank, and have restrained it to a two by four,
with three inches of reflex, that it took after quartering. I did this as the last Persimmon
propeller twisted as well as cracked.

That is as far as I've gotten with Persimmon so far Ernie. I think it will make nice bows.
It was once used for golf club heads, shuttles in the textile industry, and is still used for pool cues.

Here is a little Persimmon folklore for you.
It is said that one can predict the winter by taking the seeds out of some persimmons and then slicing the seeds.
The shape that shows up the most inside each seed will indicate what kind of winter to expect.
The three shapes resemble three eating utensils.
A Knife shape means there will be a cold icy winter (as in the wind will slice through you like a knife).
A Spoon shape means there will be plenty of snow to shovel.
A Fork shape means there will be a mild winter.

Offline BigErn

• Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:26:16 pm »
      Hey Lombard ,
          We had about 10 persimmon trees on my homeplace.I think there's 3 left.We are taking 20 ft trees.Hopefully i can get some wood from the ones left.I wished i would have kept some wood from the others.
                                                                                                                              Ernie
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:46:36 am »
I have not made a persimmon bow yet because every one I cut grew in a spiral. I do have a beautiful straight persimmon stave that Hillbilly gave me that will be a bow or 2.
  Persimmon will make a very good bow. The wood is very heavy so make the outer limbs as light as possible.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »
  It's a really light wood,make sure it's seasoned or it will warp quicky.I made 2 stave bows about 20 years ago.I talked to the one guy about 8 years ago and he's still as it.Says he gets it out and shoot's it now and then.55#@27"I think it's 64"s nock to nock.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline wodpow

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:45:25 pm »
All I know is the larger the tree the more dense the wood I made a bow from a small persimmon tree trunk that was not dried enough when i started shooting it and it took lots of set. The bark can be read to see is your going to get staves like cork screw are barber poles the one I cut and split was big around as a basketball and I lucked out and got one stave that I might get a bow from because it was so spirailed