Author Topic: Arrowheads  (Read 6307 times)

Robert E. Leet

Arrowheads
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:58:05 pm »
I have a 4' Welsh Shortbow that draws roughly 45 pounds at 20".  (Limited draw on the bow, my draw is about 27".)  I'm making a set of cane arrows for it, harvested from a batch of bamboo in my backyard.  I have a few dry shafts and some are drying right now.  My main question at this point is what to use as arrowheads for these arrows.  Right now I plan to torch some rough shapes out of 1/8 steel and then using a grinding wheel to sharpen them into shape.  I also planned to try to make a boadhead, by TIG welding two of the steel arrowheads together and then filing down the welds.  However, I wonder if that's too heavy for my bow.  I also wondered what most of you guys use for your arrowheads.  Do you buy them?  Make them out of steel?  Make them out of flint?  Thanks for your help.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: Arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:57:55 am »
 I use anything I can find, stone, bone,steel.. most of my heads are from my bandsaw blades (Big sawmill bandsaw).. about 11/2 wide and tempered steel.. someone on here had access to blade material.. just can't remember who.. lots of great flint knappers on here who would probably do some trading with you.. good luck bro..sorry I ain't much help.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 03:57:00 am »
Robert, what makes it a "Welsh Shortbow"?

I was unaware that there are any surviving examples of the bow or that here is a sufficiently detailed description from which one could build a replica.

Craig.

Robert E. Leet

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:22:00 am »
Hey Craig,

I purchased this bow, as I am just getting into primitive archery. (I have been doing regular archery for a few years)  Because of my inexpierence, I wanted to start out making arrows and buying a bow that I knew would work.  So a bow making project is likely on the horizen.  The site I purchased it from labeled it as a "Welsh Shortbow", but did mention that there was no survivng models and no detailed descriptions, so how it looked was anybodies guess.  The site, Woodbows.com, mentioned some sort of "evidence" indicating that the bow was belived to be very short.  So I guess in good concious I really can't call it a "Welsh Shortbow",  maybe I'll just use shortbow instead.

-Robert

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 04:42:52 am »
Robert....contact "Sawfiler" here on this Board....I beleive He is a Sawblade Sharpener/Milwright for a Sawmill...He should be able to hook you up with some Bandsaw Blade
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 04:46:27 am »
Hi Robert,

Now I understand, thought I had missed a find. will have to take a look at the site you purchased it from, isn't it wonderful the things people will say in order to make a sale.

Craig.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 04:57:09 am »
Had a look at the site of the people you got your bow from, and was amused to see trhat as well as your "Welsh Shortbow" they sell:

50 pound "Warbows",
All wood YUMI's at a maximum of 35 pound,
Bows from the days of King Arthur in 2 forms one at 35 pound and the other the "Battle Bow" at 50 Lb.

MMMMMMMMMMM!

Craig.

Robert E. Leet

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 06:02:25 am »
Thanks for all the help!  Also, I figuered I'd ask in this thread instead of starting a new one. Is it at all possible to use chicken feathers for some experimental arrows?  I have a few pheasant as well as hawk arrows that I have set aside for fletching, but I was hoping to use thoughs for nicer arrows when I get better at making them. Until then could I fletch with chicken feathers?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 11:15:30 am »
Really ...any good long Primary Wing Feather will work for an Arrow...it is just that some are going to be tougher...and last better than Others will...Chicken will work...along with Goose...Pheasant...Domesticated Turkey....Duck...even Raven and Crow...and Grackle Feathers will make a Fletch
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:25:34 pm »
well i make my heads out of stone,even though i cant hunt with them
but i have bought some metal braod heads and have made some from steel too.
for fletching i use turkey and goose primaries and secondaires.pheasant feathers once in awhile
i use these beacause i can obtain them pretty easy.
we have a high turkey and goose population so its just a matter of walking the woods for turkey feathers and hunting them,goose feathers  i
walk aroud ponds and such where they hang out and find them.i dont hunt goose but friends do and the ygive me wings one and awhile too
i know an area where swans migrate to for the winter,must be over 1000 of them,i plan on going there sometime in the spring and see what i can find
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:37:48 pm »
  If you can build arrows you can craft a bow. ???
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:34 pm »
  If you can build arrows you can craft a bow. ???

in my experience
it takes more skill to make a good arrow from scratch than it does a bow
not saying amking a biw is that easy,but i think making arrows is harder
but i dont use dowels either
mine are all primitive type,no store bought nothing on them
well except ones i hunt with,they have purchased broad heads becuse stone is illegal where i live
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 08:39:09 am »
I noticed that the site selling you that bow says it has a maximum draw length of 20"!

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:42:39 pm »
I cut some narrow small game points out of old flatware knife blades.  These could also work well for turkey.  My buddy was trying to make some broadheads from a circular saw blade and they were looking pretty nice and came out weighing 120 grains.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:51:46 pm »
we all must start at some place in this addiction, i purchased several bows from sites and auctions just to start shooting ,i failed more times than i care to remember when i started trying to build wood bows. doesnt matter to me what your bow is called or where its from, WELCOME to the wonderful world of archery,my heads are knapped flint or metal made from saw blades ,both wrapped and glued in place