Author Topic: Christmas Storm Bow  (Read 34889 times)

Offline Bullitt

Re: Christmas Storm Bow
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2010, 11:02:45 pm »
El, you asked. I have wrapped alot of cracks and such, with loin and leg sinew. I don't think you need a week!
I ,personally, would have used F.F. serving wrap. Heck, Electriical tape wrap would suffice! ;D

Looking foward to the finished product! What do you operate a crane for? Good shootin, Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:59 am »
What do you operate a crane for? Good shootin, Steve

For the Hell of it................ ;D................ >:D

No Steve.....all kidding aside...I operate Crane in a Refinery here in the Texas Panhandle for Zachry Construction Co. Been working at the same Refinery mostly for 25 years now...been through Three Companies there so far
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 10:37:36 am »
Looking good so far,can't wait to see it finished. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:57 am »
 Mike that is looking real good, not sure how I missed this one but it looks to be shooter. Great job on the recurves.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:19 am »
No pointers, El. Just a job well done. Sometimes being a selfbowyer is about solving problems. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:18 am »
Thanks Guys...I think I may just give a little try today and see what gives...... :o....I am getting antsy to bend her again and finish the Tiller on it... I have to decide wether to put Tip Overlays on...or just go with Pin Nocks like I planned...this slight delay has given Me time to get a Reflexed Paddle Bow that I started last year to the Short String status right now too...so I got plenty to do now.... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 03:06:29 pm »
This bow makes me think it would be nice to have a new topic category:  "Specialty Woods".  Topic titles would be just the name of the wood, "Western Soapberry" for example.  ;)  The subject body would have pictures of bows, both completed and destroyed, with as much technical information as could be gathered from the experience, for example:  "Checked slightly while recurving".  Or "failed in compression, perhaps an ELB style would have worked better."  Anybody else who made a bow of the same wood would simply add their bow to the same topic.  Eventually an incredible technical reference would grow for the betterment of all.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2010, 05:50:06 pm »
So far...whatever this Wood is...I am really happy with the Performance of it...even in the Cold Weather that We have been having...It performs great! I have shot it in about 200 times so far...but the Cambium is being really stubborn on it....it don't want to peel off even after multiple Shootins...normally Cambium will start to let go as you Tiller and Shoot one in....this is not happening! So I may end up finishing like it is....because I am afraid that as thin as these Rings are...that I will violate the Back...and I don't want that! I am holding off on the Finish and Grip until I either figure out how to remove the Cambium....or learn to live with it... ;D...This Bow so far is 63# @ 27"of Draw...I was shooting for 60# @ 28"...So I am close...by the Time is settles in ...it should be right where I wanted it to be....It has about 1 1/4" of String Follow right after being unbraced...but after 30 minutes to an hour....it has only about 1/2" of Set....No Hand Shock...Shoots straighter than any Bow I have built to date....with the way I laid it out....there is no Paralax...due to the wave in the Limb right where the Grip is....I am happy so far with it...and I will post Pictures as soon as I get the Grip and the Finish figured out....thanks for looking

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2010, 08:03:34 pm »
Looks great Mike !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 04:40:54 am »
I got all of the Cambium off of it today....and also rubbed in two coats of Danish Oil....and one heated in coat of Bear Grease from Dana....man that stuff smells good!! I also got the Tips looking better now...at least they have some shape to them now! I just got done wrapping the Tips once more with Sinew...so the Sinew Job is still a bit rough looking until it shrinks down some more .... tomorrow I am going to try to finish a Hand Grip for thid Bow...and try to get it finished totally this Weekend

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2010, 07:25:11 am »
Coming along nicely Mike :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2010, 10:00:07 am »
Looking good, can't wait to see it finished!
south central VA

Offline sailordad

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2010, 11:41:45 am »
mike, i had totaly forgotten about this thread of yours.glad i came back to it
that thig is looking great,cant wait to see it finished and a full draw pic.
i still say ya gotta name that thing what i suggested,just cause it leans left a little  ;) lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2010, 11:48:56 am »
El, looks like a few sharp corners on those nocks. Feel them with your hand. Sand as needed. I had an osage bow down to one strand once in the blink of an eye for that very reason. I check those nocks now. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2010, 12:13:18 pm »

Thanks Guys...it's coming along...but Boy is it moving Slow!!

Tim...You are right it does Lean a little like the Politicians do......but I am afraid to Name a Bow after such a bunch of lazy...no backboned ...backstabbing pieces of dead weight like that....can You imagine what it would do to the Performance of this Bow...if I Insulted it like that.......... ;)

You are right Jawge....they need a little more attention....I will hit them when I fine sand it...once the Danish Oil is dried well....I messed up though...I should have stained the Wood....I figured the Danish Oil would have darkened the Wood some...but it didn't...so I don't know if I can go back now and stain the Wood or not...does anyone know if a Stain will penetrate the Danish Oil...or will it mess up the Finish now if I try??
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:17:10 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome