Author Topic: Christmas Storm Bow  (Read 34904 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Christmas Storm Bow
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 01:04:50 am »
Western Soapberry?

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=116

Or check out the rest of Texas' indigenous trees at

http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/listOfTrees/
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 02:52:04 am »
Hey Zen....Your a Friggin Genius!! Thats it....Soapberry....Thank You for your interest and input....The Bark is right ...the Berries are correct....the growing in Clumps is correct....the only thing is they are no where near as big as what they say they get...but then I am sure that growing in a dense Thicket limits the size that they can attain also!....So....Haas anyone ever used Western Soapberry before??? Or am I going to be setting a new Bow Wood into being??

Dismount....Thank You for being one of the People worrying along with Me about My Son...I appreciate it...believe Me!

Jawge...thank You for your compliment..I will try my best to make this a Bow worthy of Your remark

Hawk...if it works out to be a Shootable Bow....I will use it on a Turkey as soon as Spring Season opens up!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 06:51:06 am »
looks like a good use of your time Mike :)
And a perfect way to get ones mind off of worrying eh, Glad he made it home and hope ya all had a good Christmas :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 08:11:16 am »
Glad your son made it home safe, that will be a really hard learning moment.  The bow is looking nice, looking forward to seeing it finished.  Soapberry?,  my guess was Southewestern Digleberry.  Oh well what do I know.  ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline dismount

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 10:24:44 am »
NOt to beat this subject into the ground, but my daughter who I paid 60,000.00$ for a horticulture degree, told me Okies call the tree Chinaberry. Also don't eat the berries they are posion!!!

Offline mox1968

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 10:52:00 am »
glad your son is ok look forward to seeing the finished bow looks good.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 10:56:46 am »
Dismount...I have seen these Trees also...but the One that I harvested had Yellow Berries on it....but instead of Being a solid Yellow with one large seed in them....this Trees Seeds were Yellow....see through....and have multiple seeds inside of each Berry that resemble Grape Seeds....So I am sticking with the Soapberry so far....

Thanks all of You for your Support...as for Christmas...We opened Gifts Christmas Night right before Midnight...but are having Our Christmas Dinner today...with everyone coming this Afternoon
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 01:01:09 pm »
Here is where I am so far...Just scraped a little more on it...and I am still trying to get the Cambium scraped off without gouging into the First Ring under it...I left the Bark on this one too Long!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »
Mike,looking great so far
i like a little cambium on stick bows.makes them look a little more natural
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 03:05:38 pm »
Good luck with this bow.  I'm interested in seeing it finished. Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 05:46:00 pm »
I like the Cambium too...but this is about 1/8" thick ...so it has to go.... I have it out to 60 pounds at 25" draw...but I am afraid that since I do not know for sure what Wood this is....that I may be overloading it....so I think that I am going to nock it back to 50-55 pounds....You can also see how offset the String is to the Left Side....Take a Look and see what you think about it

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »
Mike i think that bow is looking great,i would like i said leave the string like it is and give it the name i suggested  ;D >:D
if the cambium is that thick i too would try and get rid of most of it.
i have spent about 10 hours on a hhb stave trying to get rid of most of the cambium
good thing i am not in a hurry to make a bow with it right now.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 06:04:20 pm »
The more that I tiller this Bow...the more the Cambium is peeling off...a lot like Vine Maple does....so maybe I won't have to scrape it all off....now I need to plan on what I am going to do with the Tips...Carve them...or put Horn or Bone Overlays...ain't quite decided that yet...
2024...We Will Overcome

Lombard

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 07:08:38 pm »
I've been working some Persimmon. It has a yellowish tint, and the berries are yellow to
pale orange when ripe. Persimmon has distinct bark. Any photos of the bark?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 07:28:38 pm »
Don't know about the species of the wood Mike but ifin ya cut anymore get me one eh ;D
Looking really nice tiller is sweet as for overlays I would go with horn of some type.
I am curious as to the wood species, I like seeing bows made from the unordinary :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI