Author Topic: Anyone in NW MO  (Read 2874 times)

SteveP

Anyone in NW MO
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:36:28 am »
I have a ton of stone in my basement, I need someone that knows what they are looking at to tell me what it is. I know there is alot of agate down there just don't know what kind or if it can be used for anything. I'll make it well worth someones while if they would be willing to hang out for a while and it turns out to be worth something I'll let you box up a bunch to take home. I really just have got to do something with this stuff, it's taking up way to much space and I need to move some of it. I live just north of KC in Saint Joe so even if you happen to just be passin' through on I-29 or 36 hwy let me know I'll make it a point to be waiting at the house for ya.

Offline criverkat

• David Hilborn
Re: Anyone in NW MO
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 12:05:43 pm »
were did you get all of this rock ? can you post some pictures
build a bow build a arrow Knapp some flint cook some rock now thats fun

SteveP

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:16:30 pm »
Well.... I pretty much inherited it. My wifes grandparents were big into stone jewelry making and what not, when they passed we got the house and what was in it..... thus I now have a basement full of stuff. I literally have the entire garage in the basement full of stone of all types. I know I have some obsidian and one really cool looking piece of petrified palm but other than that I really have no idea as to what it is. I would like to trade some of it off for bow making stuffs. I need to know what it is first and if it is worth a dang for anything. Heck if it's knapable I would really like to trade a bunch for some arrows and heads but only if it can be used for something like this. I tried once to do this on a rock and mineral forum and  though with pics some were able to identify what I had I couldn't get rid of any of it. When I found this forum I though now this is the place to find someone that will actually use it. Most if it is in large slabs, that be less desirable to some and more to others I know it really doesn't matter all that much. the ob is just one HUGE boulder. Other than that I will see if I can get some new pics and get them up here for you all.

Steve

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:02:21 pm »
ya got any slabs of mookite jasper or any picture jaspers or novoculite
or english flint or petrified wood(some petrified wood is knappable)?

if ya do i would be interseted
lets see some pics and i am sure someone here could tell ya whats what
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:40:44 am »
I feel for you my uncle passed away and he was into lapidary . We shoveled rock into the back of a pickup to take to the dump. Then a museum down in republic showed up and thats when we found out it just wasn't worthless rock.I still pick junks of Obsidian out of the flower beds occasionally when I'm over there.
                                                                                                      Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

SteveP

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 06:03:32 pm »
Yeah I'm right there at this point... just about to fill up a couple trucks and go fill in some holes at the farm!!! but if I knew I could find a good home for it I would.

I've been working on getting some pics put together and here ya go. I put them on a slide show on photo bucket so I didn't have to download 20+ pics here. Take a look tell me what it is and if it can be used for knapping. This is a really small sampling, by far this only begins to scratch the surface of what is really down there.

http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv226/happyholler81/?action=view&current=8eef99f7.pbw

Steve

flinthills50

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:14:28 pm »
SteveP, I sent you a pm.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 12:03:44 am »

Ah, Steve, I passed through St. Joseph in the night, the first week of Dec. just on the front edge of that storm.  Got caught in it, and could not see the roads.  Sweaty palms, and little peaks in the seat cover..... ;D  But I would've stopped for some of that stuff!  I made it on down to Kingdom City, that night.  Well you definitely have some beautiful rock, and most of what you have shown is knappable, and would make some absolutely beautiful arrow heads, knife blades, dart heads, etc.  Not to mention jewelry! :o  I had a partial load of obsidian in the back of my truck, but I would have definitely taken some of that off of your hands.  There were some knappers on this thread that are from Mo.  I am sure that they will be giving you a call.  I am surprised none of the gem people were interested.  Oh well, there are all kinds...... ::)

Wayne

Offline kerryb

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 12:54:15 am »
I live in brookfield mo my daughter lives in st joe i would be glad to come by i will be there middle of the week wed or thur.
Milan Mo

SteveP

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
Stick bender, I saw your post about driving through the area in front of that storm... just be lucky it wasn't this last one.... it was bad for a couple days. If I would have known I would have told you to come over and crash on the couch till morning at least, but at the time I was in IL guiding for the outfitter I work for. As for the gem guys... I really don't know what was up with that but I was able to unload some of the tigers eye, still have about 20lbs of rough but... and maybe more in what I haven't gone through yet. I sent a few other pieces to a gal in Washington and she made a beautiful set of earrings for my wife but that was it.

Kerry I replied to your PM look forward to hopefully seeing you later in the week.

Steve

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 02:28:35 pm »

Steve, yeah, I am glad I didn't get this one.  That one was bad enough.  Well it sounds as though your problem of too much rock in the basement is solved. ;)  It looks like you have some nice stuff.  Too bad I couldn't be there to sort through it.  But you might also check E-Bay and see if you get any takers.  Especially in the Jewelry trade.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 07:48:41 pm »
 Steve, I sent a PM.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?