Author Topic: Fresh tillering eyes  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Fresh tillering eyes
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »
The left limb in the top picture looks like it needs to bend a tad bit more in the first 1/3 of the limb.  since it only looks like that in the first photo and not the second, I think you should check the thickness of both sides of that limb in the first 3rd and make sure they are the same thickness.  But that's just my opinion, I am definitely no expert.   ;D  :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Frode

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 06:44:14 pm »
OK, here it is after fiddling and fussing around a bit.  It's been drawn halfway 70 or 80 times in addition to exercising after each material removal.  Right now it's 30# @ around 14".
I've seen estimates of draw weight given on other in progress bows, is there a rule of thumb to predict what this will do at 28"?
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Josh

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 07:08:57 pm »
most of the time it is 3-4 lbs of draw weight per inch from around 14 or 15 to 28"  that is the rule of thumb i usually use to estimate my draw weight.  If it's 30 lbs @14" right now, a conservative weight at 28" right now is around 72 lbs.   :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 06:58:50 am »
Thats about how I estimate it ,about 3 lbs per. inch. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 12:06:56 pm »
That's about what I use , as well. However, it also depends on bow and design. I've found with heavy bows, it's more like 5# per inch.

Offline Josh

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 12:11:19 pm »
...and shorter bows get more lbs per inch towards the end of the draw... called stack.   :)  -josh

Offline Frode

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »
Hi all,
Here is the bow you've all been graciously helping me eyeball.  As of right now, it pulls about 45# at full draw.  The bottom limb looks thicker, but that's just a flash shadow from the camera.  Comments?
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:40:12 pm by Frode »
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.