Author Topic: How do you store your staves  (Read 7812 times)

Offline osage outlaw

How do you store your staves
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:43 am »
I just had a garage built and I am sectioning off a 10'x24' bow/work shop.  For the guys that store a lot of staves, do you lean them up in a corner?  Hang them from the roof?  Stack them on the floor?  I am just looking for some ideas.  I have a lot of osage cut and I want to maximize my work area.  Pictures would be great.  Thanks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: How do you store your staves
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:22:52 am »
Mine are all leaned in a Corner after I soaked them with Borax to keep the Bugs down....probably better to lay them Flat....but I haven't enough Room to do so........... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:05:42 am »
After 20 years of making bows I just built a shelf for them. Now I store them vertically. Prior I stored some vertically and some horizontally. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:57 am »
I have shelf brackets high up the wall of the garage with 2x1 on 'em.
I lay the staves across them like shelves, then another couple of bits of 2x1 as spacers and more staves.
When it gets full up I add another two brackets underneath.
I leave the back door of the garage open, and there is a fair gap under the car door at the other end, I get a nice through draft which helps to season 'em quickly.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:53:41 am »
I stack mine on top a couple blocks on the basement floor, kind of layer them. The basement is sometimes damp after heavy rains, but I keep a fan going and a de-humidifer on during the summer. Always horizontal.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

half eye

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:35:50 pm »
osage outlaw,
       I dont use osage or any of the western woods, but here's what I do in northern Mi. I store mine on racks in an outdoor shed to start...untill they stabilize (few weeks to a few months) then move them indoors on these racks. (pic) Around here the humidity is nearly allways in the 80% range (yesterday it was 82% and the temperature was 12 degrees F) go figure. Anyway...wood never really dries out here, so after stabilizing in the shed they go to be kiln dried to about 8% then back indoors untill it's time to butcher one.

One other thing....you can see the tube in the pic of the wooden rack....while I work a bow down it goes into the tube with the hair dryer in one end (gives me moving air and warm (set on low) dry conditions) untill I can get the bow sealed. Obviously my stuff is not like your "split staves" so take it for what ever it's worth.
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bernhard Langbogen

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:55:45 pm »
I had my own woodstorage. Ok, its the half from ouer sheep hutch. 
Pretty dry, and warm. I dry my staves in in a haystack.

Bernhard

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:08:06 pm »
in my garage i try and keep them in the rafters.any thing to keep them off of the concrete
and in a manner that air gets around the complete stave.
in my basement i have a couple of shelf brackets that i lay them across
i like to keep all of mine flat on their backs,ecept for boards that will be bows,them i have flat on edge and not on the back/belly side of the wood
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:31 pm »
Untill I split them out they are off the floor on blocks up in the barn. After I split them into staves they are stored between the joists in the basement. I just screw boards into the bottom of the joist to support the staves.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »
Logs just lay about the yard...especially next to the curb, crossing the sidewalk.  I have a few in the driveway, too, laying across motorcycle frames.  The neighbors like it.

The staves stay on a shelf in my office.  Lots of air flow and a constant temperature...good for the wood.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:38:56 pm »
Thanks everyone.  So is it a bad idea to stand them up on concrete?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:40:14 pm »
                                            thats where mine are...standing on the Garage Floor......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 07:38:23 am »
Anywhere and everywhere.  I have them between the first floor joists in the basement, racks in the shed, standing up next to the furnace, clamped to studs in the yet to be finished basement bathroom.  Now I just need the time to make them into bows. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Grunt

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 07:28:30 pm »
I got about 16 or 17 hickory staves tucked underneath a couple of workbenches on a wood floor in my studio. I shot them with bug stuff, sealed the ends and rough sawed them before I stored them.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55:38 pm »
At first in the loft in the barn, when that got full,  I started filling the basement in the shop. ;D Now there are just piles everywhere. ::) >:D  But I'm doing ok because I have admitted that I have a problem. :D O:)