Author Topic: twist in recurve  (Read 2513 times)

dbcoopersurvivd

twist in recurve
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:55:51 pm »
this is my second attempt on a recurve , this time its a nice piece of elm that ive found. i have it down close to the final tillering shape after heat tempering the belly and the one tip, about up to a foot in, is twisting a little out of middle. i was wondering should i file some of the wood off of the side that the twist is tending towards? or should i possibly try to bend it with dry heat again? i dont want to heat too much if it is possible to make it weaker after a point.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: twist in recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:12:11 pm »
Wouldn't you remove wood on the side opposite it is bending ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:15:14 pm »
How much "twist"?  A little won't cause too much issue.  I would try putting the bow to a form or something to hold the tips in alignment and dry heat again.  I would not remove material.

This is why I try to temper my bows in a form.  My first temper put such a bad warp on the bow I had to scratch the project.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 05:42:21 pm »
Almost any time you put recurves into a wood bow you will have to adjust and re-adjust to get the tips to line up. If not too bad you can heat the area and twist it in the opposite direction with your hand and hold it for a minute or so. Go a little past where you want it to be. This will work for slight misalignment. If more severe you may have to put it back in the form and add more heat.
  As long as you let it cool completely and rehydrate before stressing it you can reheat wood without problems.   Pics really help us understand your problem so we can give you an educated suggestion to fix your problem.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:35:17 am »
I don't do recurves but have seen a lot with that problem,Marc had a good article a couple of
PA issues back that explained how to straighten them,made since to me.May want to look it
up. :) I would say heat should work,I do it sometime on ones I flip the tips on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good