Author Topic: 1 YEAR in.  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Parnell

1 YEAR in.
« on: December 20, 2009, 02:23:14 am »
I am about 2 or 3 weeks off of one year in starting this archery stuff.  I'm posting few pictures that I took tonight, minus about 4 good shooters that I gave away.  Giving 'em away is about as enjoyable as making 'em. 

I wish I took more pictures of gathering the cane from local areas.  Well, guess that'll be a goal for year 2. 

I'm looking forward to actually learnin some skills man to man.  It's been a great year but hard fought. 

I'm going to the Classic this Spring, even if I have to sacrifice a goat or somethin.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline DanaM

Re: 1 YEAR in.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
One year of addiction eh :D Sacrifice the goat and get to the Classic you won't be sorry :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline canidsong

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:58:38 pm »
it looks to me that you have made good use of this first year.

Giving 'em away is about as enjoyable as making 'em.

without doubt. my collection is about to dwindle to 1 finished bow, with the coming holiday.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:47:34 am »
Yep ,you are hooked bad,that stuff really piles up don't it. ;) :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »
cool Parnell, I have been doing this around a year too.  Made my first red oak board bow (bendy handle)  and gave it to my boss for Christmas last year.  That's what started it for me.  It is fun giving them away isn't it?  The Classic was great last year I know you will have a great time this year.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:13:52 am »
 ;D IT'S A DISEASE......AND IT IS CONTAGIOUS! :D   Even sending sandwich bags of hickory scrapings to a buddy through the Mail can kick it off.  In fact, just allowing someone to HOLD a selfbow can trigger an infection.  There is no cure. 

piper

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 09:06:51 pm »
...just allowing someone to HOLD a selfbow can trigger an infection.  There is no cure. 

piper

That's how I got it.  Hand sanitizer didn't help a bit.

Nice looking collection, Parnell!  Noob question, what's the Classic, and should I  be shopping for a goat?
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »
Here you go Frode

Re: TN classic
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twin Oaks Bowhunters
13th annual
***Tennessee Classic***
Clarksville,TN.
   Traditional Archery shoot
    April 30th May 1st 2nd 2010   
41 Targets--Entry Fee $20.00

Custom Trophies awarded

Shoot Classes
Recurve Bow * Long Bow * Self Bow * Ultimate Self Bow Challenge (Make a Self Bow with Gary Davis and shoot it for score Thursday-Sunday.  Contact Mark Baggett 
931-362-3717   for more info.)
markbaggett@detdist.com

Vendors

* Primitive Camping available onsite *

Practice range open to all who register for the main shoot

*Pot luck Supper on Saturday Night*

For additional information, contact Mark Baggett @931-362-3717/615-313-4639 
markbaggett@detdist.com  [Pappy]

directions:  from Nashville Take I-24 west towards Clarksville, exit onto maxey rd. (exit 19), turn left, go to the end of maxey road, and turn right onto 41-a (north), go approximately 5 miles, turn left onto oak plains road (look for twin oaks sign and smith auto salvage sign), turn left onto Knox road, turn right on Ashley road.  Watch for the twin oaks signs!!!
 This might answer some questions for those that haven't been there before. Per : King Ron
     Pappy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clarksville,Tennessee
e

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 01:01:24 pm »
Should also add.. the classic is like a small knapp in too. there will be some good flint knappers there, Grate place to get some 1 on 1 with a good knapper.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Frode

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »
Here you go Frode

Re: TN classic
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »   

Twin Oaks Bowhunters
13th annual
***Tennessee Classic***
Clarksville,TN.
   Traditional Archery shoot ...

Should also add.. the classic is like a small knapp in too. there will be some good flint knappers there, Grate place to get some 1 on 1 with a good knapper.

Thanks, sounds like a blast!  Heh!  I was showing my very first bow to a couple of co-workers and one of them gave me this narrowed eye sideways look and said, "Are you you one of those guys who makes his own stone arrowheads, too?"  I laughed and told him not yet.   :D
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:57:54 pm »
Parnell, you'll have a blast at the classic, great bunch of guys, gals, kids. So much experience and activities.  I can't wait to go again this spring. Hope to meet you there.
VB

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »
Remember to save the hide off that goat because it makes great rawhide for bow backing. 

There is something pretty cool about the way someone's eyes light up when you give 'em a bow that you made with your own hands.  If their eyes don't light up, take the bow back, they don't "get it".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.