Author Topic: titebond and sinew  (Read 5979 times)

Offline jturner

titebond and sinew
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:47:54 am »
Im sure this has been asked before but can i use titebond with sinew? Not worried bout adding any reflex with the sinew as i will put 3 inches in it on a form before tillering. The sinew is just for insurance. Should i put the sinew on before tillering or part way through? Will titebond be quicker than hide glue?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: titebond and sinew
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:21:49 am »
Yeah. I use titebond and gorilla glue with sinew and rawhide a lot on other things...most people here suggest titebond III beacause it's more resilient, but both III and the original have worked for me.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline shikari

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:27:08 am »
waste of materials,i would never use titebond with sinew, Sinew needs to be glued with hide glue to give it the reflex that sinew is used forif all you want is a good backing use any damn thing.

Offline jturner

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:46:33 am »
Thanks guys i just dont like the thin rings in this stave and figured it would be a better backing than rawhide am i wrong in my thinking? Its not for me and i just want something to make good and sure it is sound. And i figured since i was inucing reflex with heat i was only thinking in terms of not lifting a splinter not holding reflex.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 02:14:58 am »
knox gellatin works great. You can get it at grocery stores.  Sinew is great and is very strong. The only thing is it wont be waterproof.
Tell Riley

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:25:50 am »
Thanks guys i just dont like the thin rings in this stave and figured it would be a better backing than rawhide am i wrong in my thinking? Its not for me and i just want something to make good and sure it is sound. And i figured since i was inucing reflex with heat i was only thinking in terms of not lifting a splinter not holding reflex.

Lots of people like sinew...I don't like sinew for backing.  If you're wanting it to be strong and bulletproof, put bamboo on it.  You can get some great, ready to work stuff from kinightd and he's an awesome guy to deal with.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Bowmonk

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 03:33:56 am »
If the rings are just thin and you feel you need the extra backing, as was mentioned rawhide or linen can be applied with not much further prep to the back.

If you want added performance, go for the bamboo backing or the sinew backing... but don't fool yourself to think you can waste your time with anything besides hide glue or knox gelatin to glue it on. This does take more preparation to the back though to accomplish. And yes, Dave Knight sells excellent bamboo backing strips.

Offline jturner

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 09:10:55 am »
Bamboo isnt an option it has too many curves. Probally just go with rawhide. Should i put it on after i reflex it or after tillering some?
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 09:27:04 am »
Rawhide will make a great backing, use TB 3 and apply after any and all heat corrections have been made, good luck eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sulphur

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 10:25:49 am »
Jturner, i asked the same question you did.  turned into quite a thread.  I ended up using hide glue.  not because i wanted reflex but because i wanted the sinew to adhere well.  you can put any good finish on top of it to waterproof.  trust me go with the hide glue.

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 04:54:55 pm »
Rawhide will work fine with alot less time. Something as simple as drywall mesh tape, even brown paper grocery bag will help.

Nothing wrong with a single layer of sinew, either, for protection. Alot of options, and things to learn.

Have fun, and let us know what you did!

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »
Bamboo isnt an option it has too many curves. Probally just go with rawhide. Should i put it on after i reflex it or after tillering some?

You can put bamboo on anything "flat".  No such thing as too many "curves".  Not to pressure you or anything, you just shouldn't feel limited.

...edited; I forgot "flat".
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:22:14 pm by makenzie71 »

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 05:16:01 pm »
Somebody needs to tell Ed Scot because hes wasting his time.
Now is the good old days

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 07:30:38 pm »

You can put bamboo on anything "flat".  No such thing as too many "curves".  Not to pressure you or anything, you just shouldn't feel limited.
...edited; I forgot "flat".

Oh Yeah....you try to put Bamboo on these Curvy Bows then......... :o

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:33:51 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jturner

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 07:33:33 pm »
Im goin with rawhide just cause of time limit to have this done that is why i was wonderin bout the titebond. If i could post pics id show you it is a snakey osage it has thick rings on one end and very thin at the other end. Its on one ring but i dont want it to lift a splinter. The only camera i have is on my phone so i can email pics but cant post them on here
Jake Turner     Michigan