Author Topic: Question on Blackfoot bows  (Read 9208 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: Question on Blackfoot bows
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 02:14:14 pm »
Barrage is absolutely correct.The Blackfoot range was in Northern Montana and in to Canada.The Blackfoot Rez is in Northern Montana,along the Alberta border and is right next to Glacier National Park.The Blackfeet,were a band of Sioux.Im not shure why Blackfoot Idaho is Named that,but the Native people on the Rez there in Fort Hall Idaho are Shoshone/Bannock.I have Good friends from both those Rezervations.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 02:18:50 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,9380.0.html

I knew I remembered seeing one on here before :) Haven't seen steve on the board in a long time wonder what became of him?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 04:16:07 pm »
Holy crap that thing is bending crazy, I don't see how that string is staying on. I must not have read something skimming through it.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 05:11:41 pm »
It were Blackfoot Indians that camped with Meriweather Lewis and a few of his men in the Marias River area NW of Great Falls, Montana. (William Clark had left the group, following their westbound trail back to the Yellowstone River.) Their goal was to steal whatever they could, including the state of the art flintlock rifles that Lewis had. In the ensueing skirmish, two Indians were killed, the only Indians killed during the two year Corps of Discovery, although some close calls occurred elsewhere.
Blackfoot Indians used serviceberry and mountain maple for bows.  Lewis broke up some the Indians' bows and arrows and burned them in their campfire before skedattling out of there.

A canyon near my home is Hellgate Canyon where Blackfeet attacked other tribes crossing over the Divide to hunt bison.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:13:05 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 07:47:44 am »
Don while looking up info I read that account, it was very interesting :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 08:19:13 am »
               That little Bow of Steves....still scares the CRAP out of Me....look at the String Angle on that Thang........ :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 08:48:57 am »
               That little Bow of Steves....still scares the CRAP out of Me....look at the String Angle on that Thang........ :P

Looks to be 90 degrees, max draw for sure, but he is using a modern grip, Wouldn't the Blackfeet have used more of a pinch grip and a shorter draw?

Manistique, MI

Offline uwe

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 02:56:30 pm »
Try to find Murray Small Legs. He lives in Potsdam near Berlin. He had bee working at Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump and comes from Canada. I know him quite well. He has an Blackfeet Ashbow. WWW.Murray Small Legs Presentations.de ?
Regards Uwe

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 09:28:48 am »
Thanks Uwe :)

Manistique, MI

Offline billy

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 01:43:06 am »
Hey Dana,

I'm pretty sure the Blackfoot lived in close proximity to the Sioux.   3 Sioux bows will be illustrated in the Treasures of the Smithsonian series, and I think the blackfoot bows were probably pretty similar.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline DanaM

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 07:13:35 am »
Thanks billy been waiting on them articles :)

Manistique, MI