Author Topic: Question on Blackfoot bows  (Read 9207 times)

Offline DanaM

Question on Blackfoot bows
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:25:01 am »
A guy at work asked if I could make his wife a bow, she is descended from the Blackfoot tribe, I know nothing of them, where they lived or what type of bow they used.
If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, pictures would be great :) Thanks in advance eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

coyote pup

Re: Question on Blackfoot bows
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:33:09 am »
All I know is that I have read there is a distinction between BlackFOOT and BlackFEET indians. Don't know how true or not. I believe the BlackFEET were essentially part of or closely related to the Northern Sioux. BlackFOOT I am not sure of either.

half eye

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:10:37 am »
Dana
     Here are a few pics regarding blackfeet type of bows. Hope they help....if not I think I may have a few more squirreled away....someplace. [where did you find a tirrty-pack holder anyway?]
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:19:09 am »
Dana,
       sorry I forgot to mention...the first 3 pics are from the university of Montana, the last 2 pics are specimens from the Peabody Museum (I believe they came from the stuff sent back by Lewis and Clark) If you notice the last 2 have defelexed handles so they seem to have that classic "double curve" when braced......I never did know why the brace height was so low but seems to be the rule and not the exception.
half eye

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:28:36 am »
There are a couple illustrated in Jim Hamm's Plains Bows chapter in the TBB.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 11:40:17 am »
Thanks guys, but I'm wondering now because he said that his wife's descendents were from the east coast ??? ??? ???
 So is there two different tribes as coyote pup thought, blackfoot and/or blackfeet ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »

half eye

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:41 pm »
Dana,
      Cant believe that I found it but I have some research for a project of granddaughter's a long time ago....here is what the "scholars" got to say:
     The term blackfoot come from the native word siksika (which translates to dark mocasins) they were a confederacy of 3 first nation tribes from Alberta Canada + one from the Montana/ Idaho area of the States. The anglicization came out blackfeet (used in the states) and blackfoot used in the Canadian Provences. The report further stated that the Natives themselves are/were miffed about the plural version because that is not what would translate from their language.
      The info made no mention of any Eastern tribes....unless maybe they were forceably relocated there.
Hope that helps
half eye

Offline Barrage

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:26:12 pm »
What half eye said...

Blackfoot's where from Southern AB and Northern Montana I believe.  A lot of the stuff around here (Calgary AB) and South, getting close to the AB-Montana border (by head-smashed-in buffalo jump http://www.head-smashed-in.com), is Blackfoot as far as I know.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0000802

Travis

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:27:06 pm »
I was gonna say I think the Blackfoot were from up here in Idaho. Thereis a town in eastern Idaho near the reservation that is named Blackfoot. That gives me reason tho believe, some blackfoot triibes originated, or lived in the area.  they still live near there on a reservation. I think most of them are farmers now. :) ;)
Tell Riley

coyote pup

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 12:30:53 pm »
Dana,

I was looking for the site where I had read that there was a diference and I am unable to find it. Now everything I find says that they are pretty much two ways of saying the same thing, just in diferent contexts. So I guess maybe they are the same. But I am positive that at some point I read where there was a distinction. If I find it I'll post it.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:31:11 pm »
One of the neatest looking plains bows I've seen was Blackfoot.
It was in the TBB vol. 3, and I can't remember the dimentions exactly (I lent the book to someone, and I'm not sure if I'll be getting it back!), but I think it's around 40-44" long, and backed with garter snake skin.
Sorry, not much help here. :D
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline canidsong

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:44:29 pm »
Dana,

I was looking for the site where I had read that there was a diference and I am unable to find it. Now everything I find says that they are pretty much two ways of saying the same thing, just in diferent contexts. So I guess maybe they are the same. But I am positive that at some point I read where there was a distinction. If I find it I'll post it.

to my knowledge, the Blackfeet band are one of the couple bands that make up the Blackfoot Confederacy/Blackfoot Nation.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:23:34 pm »
Again thanks for the help guys, I checked wikpedia and yes they are from Alberta and Montana.
He called his wife and he was wrong they were from Canada :) I'll look in TBB 3

Manistique, MI

Offline Barrage

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 01:45:22 pm »
And further to what I wrote, a lot of the names of roads in Calgary are Blackfoot related (or allies of the Blackfoot) or old Chief names.  ie Blackfoot Trail, Peigan Trail, Crowchild Trail, Sarcee Trail, Deerfoot, etc.  Some of these aren't actually Blackfoot names though.

And Siksika reserve is a little East of Calgary, the Bloods are South by Fort McLeod near the Montana border, Tsuu T'ina borders right up against the city, Stoney Reserve is a little West of Calgary.  Again, not all Blackfoot.  
Travis