Author Topic: First Osage bow-saved by sinew wrap:)  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Catahoula

First Osage bow-saved by sinew wrap:)
« on: December 13, 2009, 10:02:41 pm »
Hi,

This is my first Osage self bow.  It is 68 inches and 50 @ 29.  I call her "Thumper" because she thumps you good to make sure you are awake when you shoot an arrow and really thumps the arrow with "authority" into the target.  She is a straight shooter...pick a target and that's where the arrow goes.  This is the bow which had about 5 cracks six inches long on the middle back of the lower limb.  The sinew seems to be working fine.  I will shoot her for a week or so before attempting to add snake skins.  I must say that I had a lot of help tillering "Thumper" from my buddy Joel who had been making bows for years.  I am working on another osage stave so I hope it will turn out too.

Rand

[attachment deleted by admin]
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Catahoula

Re: First Osage bow-saved by sinew wrap:)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:10:54 pm »
Hi,

Strung bow...did you like my Catahoula Sally in the first picture...she loves to chase my arrows and "tag" them for me...she used to eat the fletching...now she has learned to find lost arrows.

Rand

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:11:55 pm »
You take that last 12' or so of each limb and narrow it down to 1/2" and you'll change that bows name I guarantee it.  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:13:42 pm »
i think Dano means the last 12" and not 12'
but ya do what he said and you definatly will change her name
them is some wiiiiiide tips
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 10:17:18 pm »
Hi,

Full draw...

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 10:19:45 pm »
Hi,

Sinew wrap...not a particularly good picture. 

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 10:23:40 pm »
Hi again,

Yep...wide tips with some ebony on 'em.  Say I do try to reshape the tips...will she loose weight or her power or her accuracy because right now she is just awesome.   I am just glad she hasn't gone the way of the three before her..."kablooey!"  Nice to have a bow survive!!

Rand:)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:27:35 pm by Catahoula »

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »
Yep, I meant 12". The first selfbow I ever shot was a thumper too, it had no taper to the limbs too. I swore there had to be a better way to build a bow. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 11:11:30 pm »
Hi again,

Yep...wide tips with some ebony on 'em.  Say I do try to reshape the tips...will she loose weight or her power or her accuracy because right now she is just awesome.   I am just glad she hasn't gone the way of the three before her..."kablooey!"  Nice to have a bow survive!!

Rand:)
She may loose a little weight, but the power -authority she launches and arrow- will increase. Accuracy shouldn't be any different. You will quickly see how a 45# bow can shoot an arrow a lot faster than a 50# bow.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 11:17:36 pm »
Tiller looks great. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 11:42:59 pm »
Got your weapon bookmarked under Dec Self BOM fun. Thanks for sharing!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 11:57:13 pm »
Good save! 
You could literally shave ounces of excess weight from those tips and not loose more than a pound of draw weight.  And like Justin said, the increase in performance alone would make it worth it. Not to mention removing that unwanted handshock. ;)
 There is very little leverage out near the tips. You would be surprised how narrow you can go with them and them still be stiff. :)

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 12:14:56 am »
Yeah, get those tips scary thin (they're already pretty stiff so the bow shouldn't end up whip tillered) and you'll be naming her thumper for the way arrows slam into a target, not the way your hand tries to disintegrate when shooting.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 10:54:41 am »
Yep, mighty big tips.

Here is my method for thinning tips, I call it "sighting in a bow".

I use a belt sander but any sanding block or file will work as well.

I put the fade of the opposite limb from the one I am working on my shoulder and sight down the limb like I am aiming a gun. I touch the sides of the limb tip to my belt sander and resight down the limb. My goal it to remove a little wood at a time and always center the tip with the handle and the rest of the limb. A little off one side, check, a little off the other side and recenter.

Be sure to have some measuring device handy to constantly check your tip width. What looks like 1/4" while you are reducing the tip with will actually measure around 1/2". 1/2" tips look really small when compared to what you start with before you start thinning the tips. 

The reason I use the sight in method to finish tips is because no matter how carefully I lay out a stave the tips will be just a little off from center when I start tillering. Since I started visually laying out my tip position my strung bows almost always have the string centered or very close to centered over the handle.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:21 am »
LOL I Do it the same way Eric, I didn't know there was a name for it I just started doing it one day and it DOES feel like aiming a gun!   I also do it to make sure my tapers aren't all wobbly looking, i.e. to get rid of high spots on my mid-limb taper.  I also use a belt sander for this and "aim" down the bow limb.... That is awesome. 

...and even though the tips of your bow are very wide, that is a very well-tillered bow there, Catahoula.  Especially for a first.    ;)

:)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln