Author Topic: Dull Drawknives  (Read 4204 times)

Offline Et_tu_brute

Dull Drawknives
« on: December 12, 2009, 05:53:54 pm »
Hi All,

I've seen quite a few posts on here with people saying that they don't sharpen some of their drawknives and leave them dull, what is the advantage in this? It doesn't make a lot of sense to be but I'm sure there's a sound reason for it.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Offline Dano

Re: Dull Drawknives
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »
I think a lot of it depends on the knife it's self and the user's methods. I like my knife sharp, but I have used other knives that were either too light or too thin and when sharp they dig or chatter too much. I say what ever works, go for it. ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 06:19:36 pm »
My knives are sharp and I mean sharp but those who like dull knives use them to wedge and pry off rings. Jim Hamm likes a dull knife so that says something. No dull tools on my shop though. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 07:17:06 pm »
What is the best way to sharpen them??
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 07:47:12 pm »
I sharpen mine on an old Beltsander Belt that I have fastened to a Board....then I clamp the Board in my Vise and just draw my knife down the Belt...and believe Me it gets like a Razor really fast
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:55:47 pm »
You draw it like you are cutting wood, or with the bevel on the sand paper?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:58:25 pm »
You draw it like you are cutting wood, or with the bevel on the sand paper?

Yep with the Bevel down....but on a slight angle to the Belt...no truly straight....just cant it a bit....like you would work a File.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:03:38 pm »
Sonds like a plan to me. I have tried to sharpen mine with a file, but that didn't work to well. I will definitely try an old belt. Thanks.
TJ

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 08:13:53 pm »
TJ...use a good worn Belt when you do...or a 220 or finer...they will put a fine edge on one...just be careful with it when you are done..... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nugget

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 08:15:42 pm »
Ok I understand.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »
I use a dull draw knife for chasing a ring, but keep in mind that when you use this method it is no longer being used as a knife, as mentioned, it is a wedge. I am a true believer in "scary sharp" for all cutting tools, so don't try to use your dull knife for the same applications you would a sharp one.

just to repeat, if someone talks about using a dull drawknife for bow building, i am sure they are referreing to chasing rings and they are not using it for cutting, they are using it for wedging. When chasing a ring the dull knife will find the earlywood and pry off big sections without cutting into the next layer.

the only proper tool for cutting wood fibers is a very sharp blade.

I have two drawknives that i commonly use, one is dull and i have never sharpened it, this is used for chasing rings. the other is kept very sharp for all other stave reduction stuff.

45# at 27"

Offline nugget

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 09:24:29 pm »
I agree. I chase rings with a dull knife, but the one I like to keep sharp has lost it's edge due to flopping around in a tool box. A dull one does like to find the crunchy layers in osage. ;D
TJ

Offline Dano

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 09:41:07 pm »
You guys that like dull knives oughta roll the edge like a scraper, then you have the tool.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 11:08:11 pm »
I use a medium stone to sharpen my knife. I keep the same bevel. The  flip it and sharpen the back. Keep it flat against the blade. No grinder and no beltsander. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 11:39:22 pm »
I don't use a Beltsander either...Just the Belt...And I use it like a Stone
2024...We Will Overcome