Author Topic: Ash long bow...61.73lbs @ 30"  (Read 13789 times)

Offline akila

Re: Ash long bow...61.73lbs @ 30"
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 06:01:24 am »
Foarte frumos! I hope that's right, my Romanian is not so good.

this is corect....thks alot.... ;)....
 Yess guys u are right...the nok is cut into the back of the bow...i  know its not a verry good ideea to do that, but the bow hol on perfectly....also the string of the bow, is a flemish string....and the loop of the string is pretty thick, so  i hope it will not be a problem....thks alot for all your replays....i dont have to much experience with this flight shooting long bow's.....iff u say its a good distance thenn im verry happy.. ;D....thks again...take care..

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 07:22:54 am »
Very nice bow.  The tiller looks right on.  As for finish work, a clean simple finish like that really brings out the beauty of a bow.  No distractions.  What kind of Ash is that? 
Traverse City, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 07:30:29 am »
Great bow akila, a bow doesn't have to be all prettied up, it just needs to be built well and perform well
which I think you have accomplished very nicely :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline akila

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 09:20:26 am »
HI....the wood is Fraxinus Excelsior...also known as European Ash.....the density of the wood that this bow wass made wass aboute 0.77...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 10:45:39 am »
Cutting the back for a nock may be a problem in the future. A bowyer friend's osage bow broke at that spot. There is one exception where I may consider it and that is in a 1/4 sawn board. Akila, you may want to consider an overlay of wood.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/burlap.html
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline akila

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 10:55:09 am »
I will probably put some horn  overlays there...thks for  your advice...

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 11:19:45 am »
Howdy Akila,

It's a very impressive bow!!  I like the tiller and the simplicity in design.

All the best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Barrage

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 11:36:58 am »
Very nice Akila.
Travis

Offline Jesse

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 01:31:48 pm »
As the others said Akila very nice work. That full draw pic is as good as it gets :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 02:07:42 pm »
At  full draw the  bow  is simply  beautiful:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 03:07:12 pm »
Like all you bows, a joy to behold.

Dave

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 04:47:24 pm »
Hi Akila, I like your bow and i am very immpressed , I have made some flat ash bows 2 inchs wide and 68"  long and they have always taken a big set( 2 1/2")  and hardly made 150  yards>  Maybe ash prefers the long bow shape than flat shape or maybe you have got better ash trees, was it a young tree or old tree? have you made ash flat bows ? what did I do wrong?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 05:07:27 pm »
Well done to get no string follow.
Go on gotta ask, I know I'll regret it (it's just gotta be a mug trap) what is the plastic bottle top on a stick all about?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline akila

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 09:23:00 pm »
The tree wass aboute 4" in diameter.....the ash is  European ash....sometimes i get pretty dense wodd... the best ash that i had wass 0.9 density....the wood that this long bow is made is aboute 0.77 density.....i think the secret is in the tiller metod...i have to say that i didnt use no tiller tree, or stick  to this bow...i did some floor tillering to the bow, untill i could put a string on it to brace it....and i just tiller the entire bow, at brace hight, with the string on it....only on brace hight....i  use for that a verry simple tool....a small stick...4" long...and i put the little stick on the belly of the bow, and wach for the sitff areas of the limb, and working that areasa untill the limb is bending  evenly....after i finished this, i just pull the bow to 28", and thenn to 30", and that wass all.....after i remove the string the set wass minimal...1" or so...and the next day i just shoot the bow as u can see in the pictures....and after 3 hours shooting the bow, the set wass 1.18".....also the  final mass is verry important.....the tips of the bow are verry narrow...as u can see in the picture, the tips are narrower thenn my little finger....at the noks the bow is  8mm. wide....so its verry narrow....so this is all i did to this bow.....ash dosent realy prefer  the narrow design of the long bow....and iff u want to make a long bow out of ash , u should make it a little longer...the bow is 1.26 wide at the center, and 0.91 thick....the ratio is aboute 5/7.....i think the most important thing is to try to reduce the set as much as posibile, and to make the last 6" of the tips realy light.....and i think u will feel a diference....
 The plastick botle on the top of the stick... ;D....wi use those sticks, as a marker.....and wi have this markers at the point where wi shoot...and thenn at 130metter, 140, 150, 160, 170, etc...200metter....and wi put the plastic botles on the top of the stick so that wi can see the stick a little better from that distance...so..wi shot from the start line...and thenn wi go to see the distance...and thenn wi shoot from where the arrow tuch the ground,  back to the start line ,,,or the start stickk ;D...aniway the botle is there so wi can see that stick a little better from the distance..... sorry for my english guys....i hope i could be of some help to u..

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 11:49:09 pm »
Very nice long bow. You are the Ash Man on this site due to the fact you have produced some really great bows, including BOM. Thanks for sharing. This bow, too, is bookmarked under Dec Self BOM fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday