Author Topic: String Length for a New Bow  (Read 2786 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

String Length for a New Bow
« on: December 11, 2009, 05:48:36 pm »
Hello
I am having a hard time making a string to fit a bow I am working on.  The bow is an osage flatbow 66 1/2 in N/N.  If anyone could give me some pointers I would apreciate it.  The string I am making is just a regular string not a flemish string.
Thanks.
Tell Riley

Offline adb

Re: String Length for a New Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:14:23 pm »
I usually make my strings 2-3" shorter than the bow. However, I also usually make flemish strings, and twist/untwist to shorten/lengthen the string to fine tune my brace height. Making flemish strings is really quite simple once you learn how. You can go to youtube, and do a search with the title: "string video 028". It was posted by a member from here, and you'll laugh when you see how easy it is. Have a go.  ;D

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 08:26:11 pm »
Thanks adb.  I checked out the video and made my first flemish string it is way easy.  It is easier than makeing the ones I was making before.
Thanks.
Tell Riley
Tell Riley

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:44:13 pm »
 ;D

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:15:44 pm »
i use b 50 and make mine 3 inches shorter so i can put some twist in my string, rule of thumb is 4 inches shorter than your tip to tip length.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:19:01 am »
Hi Riley,  What's a "regular string"?   I guess my strings are 'Flemish", but I just make the string slightly longer than the bow, with only a single loop.  The bottom end of the string is tied on with a "Bowyer's Knot".  It's an arrangement that makes for easy adjustment.  Make up your tillering string that way and then you can just measure the string once you reach final tiller and make up an endless loop string.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:07:13 pm »
I think he was reffering to a "regular string" as an endless loop type string. And yes, M-P, I do the same as you, making a single loop and using a bowyer's knot for the other end. Makes life very simple. I don't make any endless loop strings anymore.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 02:30:49 am »
Hi Riley,  How did the flemish string making go?    Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 02:42:44 am »
M-P,
It went great I have made several of them now. I can make one in just a couple minutes. the ones I made before were endless loop, that i served both ends into loops. I need to fugure the bowyers knot out, havent really paid that much attention to it. That will be my next learning step.
Thanks for the advice.
tell
Tell Riley

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 04:06:25 am »
The bowyer's knot is the same as a timber hitch.  You probably already know how to tie it.  The only thing I change from the standard boy scout type timber hitch is that I may add a couple of extra turns as I pass the end up around the bight.   Ron

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 06:16:33 am »
With the bowyers knot I have found that some extra strands to reinforce the string at this point is needed. Waxing the string well at the knot helps it to "weld" together. I turn the free end all the way around the loop and then put the loopon so the freeend is between the knot and the bow limb. Once pulled tight on the bow it should tighten up and the wax welds the whole into one and it should not slip. Take care to loop the free end the correct way round the loop or it will slip!