Author Topic: does frost affect bows?  (Read 8544 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
does frost affect bows?
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:24:12 am »
Winter is coming, Though I've never worried too much before but lately I have been hearing stories that bows can break when used in below freezing tempertatures?? I've got some new bows I'd hate to break, so I was wondering if it was just a rumour, or can it happen??? Does anybody have that unfortunate experience?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: does frost affect bows?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:29:41 am »
Never had a problem with mine,of course it hardly ever gets lower that the low teens around here.
I always draw it a few time at short draw till I reach full draw first thing out.Sometimes it feels heavy but that could just be me and cold muscles.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:41:49 am »
Pappy, sounds like you never get frost over there???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:36:28 am »
I smashed a sinew backed bow on the tiller tree, it had been in the garage and there was a hard frost overnight. I think if I'd been patient and bought it indoors for an hour or two it probably would have survived.
I was just reaching for the camera for that nice full draw pic when KABOOM.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:01:17 am »
No problems here been out in around 0 deg F temperatures. I have friend who likes to make bows from yew and won't shoot a yew bow in the winter. He's had one or 2 explode in the cold. FYI- I let the bow acclimate to the cold for several minutes before stringing it up and shooting.  Bowyering is done in a heated cellar. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:48 am »
Dragonman:

Pappy is in the States and we use the Fahrenheit system here, "in the teens" is well below freezing (0* C = 32* F).  I live in Florida, so the only frozen things I deal with come out of the freezer.  I suspect bow breakage has to more do with the low humidity associated with freezing weather than the actual temperature.  Our humidity level was at 97% last night, and I had to turn the air conditioning on again just to fall asleep, so take the advice from someone that has more experience with this than myself.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:37:43 am »
Dragonman:
  Our humidity level was at 97% last night, and I had to turn the air conditioning on again just to fall asleep, so take the advice from someone that has more experience with this than myself.

Swamp

same here. it snowed a littlebit friday night, and tuesday it was 77 degrees. still pretty hot. but at least we occasionally get cold. seems like its always hot down there.
lets just shoot it

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:45:57 am »
Dragonman:
  Our humidity level was at 97% last night, and I had to turn the air conditioning on again just to fall asleep, so take the advice from someone that has more experience with this than myself.

Swamp

same here. it snowed a littlebit friday night, and tuesday it was 77 degrees. still pretty hot. but at least we occasionally get cold. seems like its always hot down there.

I think you mean pleasantly warm.   No, wait they call it hotter than H...   ;D  I deal with the heat, my nerve response is just too painful to cold temperatures.  I like it here, but it can get pretty brutal some summers.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:51 am »
I have mostly boo backed bows but have also had no problem shooting selfbows in temps below 0. Just went hunting in the snow the last few days with temps in the 20's and no problem. I suspect extreme cold does make them more brittle I just haven't had one break from it yet.  
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:08 am »
I have heard that yew is adversely affected by extreme cold but I've not heard of other woods being affected except to git a bit stiffer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:59:27 am »
 I live in Central Florida and we have frost and Temps dropping into the teen's. I had a bamboo backed osage blow up like a bomb on a cold, frosty, morning. I think the Temperature has more effect on the epoxy used. I know if you freeze epoxy it becomes very brittle. I seperated a takedown handle that got accidently glued together by freezing it with Nitrogen.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:52:06 pm »
Dragonman:

Pappy is in the States and we use the Fahrenheit system here, "in the teens" is well below freezing (0* C = 32* F).  I live in Florida, so the only frozen things I deal with come out of the freezer.  I suspect bow breakage has to more do with the low humidity associated with freezing weather than the actual temperature.  Our humidity level was at 97% last night, and I had to turn the air conditioning on again just to fall asleep, so take the advice from someone that has more experience with this than myself.

Swamp
:D :D :D :D  It's -30C here this morning, and I definately won't be shooting outside today! I won't be turning on the A/C tonight either  :D :D

Offline AllanM

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:03:57 pm »
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  It's -30C here this morning, and I definately won't be shooting outside today! I won't be turning on the A/C tonight either  Cheesy Cheesy

Cripes adb - where do you live? Siberia?
I've got a luverly bunch of coconuts

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 02:53:29 pm »
I have a nice tree of heaven flat bow that I shot all last year. Got pretty cold last winter, I took the bow out for a shoot in -14c and it felt a little stiff and developed a few small compresion fractures on the belly (i did give the bow a good rub to warm it up before I shot it). My guess is that wood behaves differently at various temperatures. My advice is go easy and keep a good eye on your bow. Better still use your least favourite bow, that way if it does adversely affect the wood you wont be too upset.

Nat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 03:09:06 pm »
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  It's -30C here this morning, and I definately won't be shooting outside today! I won't be turning on the A/C tonight either  Cheesy Cheesy

Cripes adb - where do you live? Siberia?
My mother was in Siberia for 2 years teaching English. It was -70 in the winter, and that was before the wind blew at 60 kph. Ill keep our lows with average in the high 20s.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah