Author Topic: TN classic  (Read 168746 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: TN classic
« Reply #390 on: March 31, 2010, 09:18:23 am »
For anyone that hasn't been involved in the Self Bow Challenge, Twin Oaks will have roughed in hickory bows that have been straightened on forms with some reflex added. There will also be roughed in osage bows available through Gary Davis and Yazoo with assistance given by them in getting the osage bows to a shooting stage. Several Twin Oaks members (including Pappy ;)), and probably some other PA folks will be helping as needed during the tillering process of the hickory bows. We have a good many bench/vises available on a first come first serve basis. We also provide scrappers and will have tillering strings for sale. In the past it can get pretty hectic with a dozen or so making bows at anyone time and just a few folks helping, so be patient please :)

Like King Ron said, the actual contest starts on Thursday with the bows being at a semi-floor tillered stage without string notches cut in. But for my 2 cents worth, I personally feel the emphasis of this self bow making event is not a contest so much as a introduction to making an all wooden bow and getting new people interested and excited in this great hobby! It's an opportunity to have "hands on" experience with some guidance given by experienced bowyers...not to mention some good comradarie! It's all in fun, no need to feel stressed but just enjoy yourself. Most folks in past years if they started Thursday or Friday have got their bows to a shooting stage allowing them to shoot the course for score against their fellow students of the Self Bow Challenge. All particiapants will be asked to enter the Self Bow Challenge which includes help tillering the bow and getting to shoot the course. Typically most of the bows aren't completely finished during the weekend. Usually additional sanding/ finish work, grip, and sometimes sealing the bow is still left to be completed after going home. The entire process to a fine finished bow like displayed in the PA forum bow section is typically to lengthy to be entirely completed by an inexperienced person in such a short time.

I hope this may help answer some questions to any folks new to the Classic that are interested in taking part in the Self Bow Challenge.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline StevenT

« Reply #391 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:02 am »
Hey Pappy,
I see from past TNC post that you have had a Johnstone contest. I have a throne, tank and bottom that I can throw in the back of the truck and bring with me if you need one this year. No problem to bring it, just let me know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:52:40 am by StevenT »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #392 on: April 05, 2010, 02:04:29 pm »
Only need the tank, and hopefully its a good quality American Standard and not a cheap import :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #393 on: April 05, 2010, 03:29:50 pm »
Yep, just the tank.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #394 on: April 05, 2010, 04:41:45 pm »
I don't know what brand it is, I will look tonight when I get home. I'll bring it regardless.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #395 on: April 05, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »
you know the old green toilets from the 70's?  are they that color through and through or are they just painted?  I bet they would make some pretty interesting looking Johnstone points if they were solid that color...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #396 on: April 05, 2010, 05:26:34 pm »
Believe it or not some of the modern porcelin thrones really don't knap :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline StevenT

« Reply #397 on: April 07, 2010, 12:35:47 pm »
I looked at the tank. Can't find any manufature on it. I kinow it was purchased in the early 90's. Well, I'll bring it and we'll see what happens. If someone else has an American Standard they want to get rid of, maybe they can bring it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #398 on: April 07, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »
I was mostly kidding ya but some of the new are really crappy, pun intended ;) :D

Manistique, MI

Offline StevenT

« Reply #399 on: April 07, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »
That's ok. Don't know if this thing is going to be prime Johnstone or crappy thronestone, but we gonna find out. See you at the pit.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #400 on: April 07, 2010, 11:39:22 pm »
 I'll be trading some Preground Johnny stone, Preforms, for FOG'ing. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »
 I stayed home from turkey hunting today and did a little harvest. Collard's are coming this year and already cooked. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #402 on: April 12, 2010, 07:31:13 am »
You are the man,them are great. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #403 on: April 12, 2010, 08:02:53 am »
Mine sprouted finally :)

Manistique, MI

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: April 12, 2010, 06:11:47 pm »
Thanks for the warm invite :)  I'll be coming from Knoxville, so it's not that far of a drive.  If I were to bring a couple basic tools with me, what would you say the most important are?  A drawknife?  Thanks!

Dave

Drawknife, PENCIL, flexible measuring tape, rasp, chainsaw file, couple of scrapers... That should get you started.. 

Did someone say PENCILS???  P.A. is bringing a LOT of carpenter pencils to give away.  But you will have to come by the P.A. table and say "hi" to me and Sarah!

[attachment deleted by admin]
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.