Author Topic: Osage billet bow "help-along"  (Read 16861 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Osage billet bow "help-along"
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »
I'm boar hunting Feb. 5-8.  I need a bow.  I have some 1 1/2 year old osage billets.  So with you all's help, maybe I can pull this off in 7 weeks.  I really don't want to have to hunt with a bow with training wheels.  I plan to post pics and ask advice through out this project.

I'm looking to build a 64-65 inch bow #55-65 at 27 inches.  The staves are all 36 inches.  Even with the 4" overlap for splicing I should have some wiggle room on the length

Here's pics of what I have.  They are all sister staves.  Stave #1 seems to have the fewest knot.  Stave 2 and 3 are going to have knots that I'll have to work around.

Green dots are where I'm thinking of splitting the stave.  Blue dots are possible rings for the back.  Red dots are knots.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:44:54 pm by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline artcher1

Re: Osage billet bow "help-along"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:22:19 pm »
Heck, I would kill for any of 'em, especially #1! If I were you I would get busy and rough shape 'em out. I like to give my roughed out bows a couple weeks indoors where the temperature and humidity is constant.  How long has the wood been cut? ART

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:20 pm »
i would split #1 and use that for the bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:46:49 pm »
Art, they are 1 1/2 year osage staves.  Seems I left out a couple words in my originall post  ???  corrected now.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:57:42 pm »
What splice and glue are you planning on?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline woodstick

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:18 am »
that #3 has got a growth ring that ray charles could follow.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:30:49 am »
that #3 has got a growth ring that ray charles could follow.

;D :D :o 8)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 01:40:31 am »
Dano, I'm planning on using this splice: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,983.0.html
Glue either TB3 or 2ton epoxy.  But I'm open to suggestions.

Woodstick, haha you're right.  If that stave was longer, I would have attempted to struggle through the knots to see if I could find a bow in it with my limited abilities.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline bcbull

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:44:38 am »
ID USE NBR 1   UR SPLICE IS JUST FINE IN THE PIC SAME AS I USE  AND I LIKE URAC 185  FOR THAT  BROCK

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 02:44:46 am »
Thanks everyone for your help so far.  I'll split #1 Tuesday.  Wish me luck.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:00:13 am »
Hedgeapple,

I would not split the billet, I would saw it, as the billet has been already split you should not go too far wrong sawing it in half. Too much danger of messing it up if you try to split it.

Craig.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 09:08:43 am »
I agree with Craig, you can saw it right down the middle since you have two split sides that are reasonably straight. I prefer the urac epoxy for its gap filling properties and heat resistant. The latter can be useful if things go wrong (it happens :'().

I like that "Z" splice myself. Simple and effective.

Even with your wood 1 1/2 yr seasoned you should still rough shape your limbs and let dry for a spell. Roughed out limbs dry out fairly quick, it's the thicker fade and handle section that needs more drying attention.

Now's the time to consider arrow pass layout. The center of your splice may or may not be the center of your bow depending on how you grip your bows. What type grip do you use ? ART

DCM4

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 09:42:40 am »
First thing you need to do is get the sapwood off if it and down to your back ring, or one above it.  Then even up the sides and get all the checks and splits off.  Then flatten the belly to establish the plane of the back ring, parallel obviously.  Then measure and see what you'll have in terms of width, and depth at the splice, once you part it on the bandsaw, bearing in mind you need to follow the grain.  There are always surprises under the sapwood, sometimes good sometimes not so good.

I'd strongly encourage a W splice and Urac for the splice, epoxy second or some other gap filling glue... unless you are particularly adepts at fitting the joints.  I've rarely seen a tight enough fit, absent a buttload of fiddle factor, for Titebond to fill completely.

Looks like you got plenty good candidates, and imho for 27" draw you can go down as short at 60" if necessary depending upon what your billets shape up like.

Biggest thing is getting it reduced pronto.  You don't really have time for it to dry thoroughly as it is.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:12:46 am »
Looking at the billet from belly and back side, it seems pretty straight, so sawing is probably my best option.

Art, I don't know what my grip is called, only the web area between my thumb and index finger really touches the bow.  I'm not cutting an arrow past so that's not an issue with the spice.  More than likely I'll have to build up the handle area a bit, which I don't see as a bad thing, since that would add more support to the splice.

I don't have a bandsaw.  I was planning to take the billets to a woodshop, cabinet maker to have them cut the spices.  Sawing the billet into makes sense, but I'll have to use a circular saw.

DCM4, it makes sense to me to remove the sap would now.  It's got to come off sooner or later, anyhow.  I might as well do it now and see what it looks like underneath.  And it would make it easier to cut with the circular saw.  Cleaning up the stave will be done with a drawknife and shurform.

I do have a hot box.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 10:52:21 am »
Before I cut or split anything the first thing I would do is peel the sap wood off all them billets.
You cant tell what you have to work with until the sap wood is gone.

Then, seal the backs well with a coat of Poly.
Next, start looking the billets over to see where a bow could be placed out to avoid knots.
Then see which billets, or split pieces of billets, matched the best.
Then chase the growth ring  you wish to use.   Reseal the back with Poly.
Then the bow limbs would be placed and the bow ruffed in.
After this the limbs would be joined and tillering would start.
If you have a hot box keep the bow in the box when you are not working on it.  If no hot box keep it in the house.

That is how I would proceed.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama