Author Topic: Shooting off your Hand  (Read 10470 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Shooting off your Hand
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 05:11:13 pm »
I shoot longbow and always wear a glove purely for comfort. If you have a problem with the fletches hitting the hand the main reason is that the arrow nocking point is too low. There are several good bow hand gloves around, e.g. Bearpaw), however, I use a BMX cycling glove which works fine.
Hi Allan, I couldn't get to club at the weekend, Mrs Cat had me decorating all week :(.
Hows the bow shooting?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 05:31:24 pm »
I have always shot off hand.....untill this Years Classic...I got butchered from feathers....now I wear a deerskin glove to protect my Feeble 50+ year old skin......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 09:50:40 pm »
 I wear a glove that I cut all the fingers off except the index and thumb. I have to because of the irritation when the arrow passes over the scar tissue from an arrow breaking accident.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

banoch

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:21 am »
All of my replies were already used, any nice thin glove or the eastern archery sites have repro gloves. Personally I just use a thin soft leather glove and I can hit what I am wanting to hit, well, almost.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 01:55:27 am »
I shoot off my hand/index finger...only bother me with my light bow.  It has some old school fletchings with a bit of wear at the transition...one arrow in particular cuts a chunk out of my finger every time.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 08:47:52 am »
if your hand position is right and your knocking position is right, the arrow or feather will not touch your hand, that how it is for me anyway. Cant see the need for a glove. If the feathers cut you, then  something is in the wrong place.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline artcher1

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 09:06:43 am »
I agree whole heartily with dragonman. If you're getting an irritation what so ever on your bow hand then you don't have all the components working properly. Something to think about. ART

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 10:08:01 am »
I skyve the leading edge of my fletching and routinely wrap the fletching with art. sinew or sinew with several extra wraps at the leading edges. I do, however, use a couple of leather wedges as a rest. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:29 am »
Try a Tillman pig or deer skin TIG welding glove from your local welding supply house.  Choose the long or short cuff as you see fit.  They are thin, comfortable, surprisingly tough, and I still have a good amount of feeling through them.  My last pair were in the $10-15 range.  The only draw back is they are bright, bright white.  If you hunt, or don't like them that color, just dye and seal them.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 11:02:51 am »
 Art, the irritation I'm feeling is comeing from scar tissue after 4 hours of surgery to remove feathers, wood, and paint.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 11:14:17 am »
Art, the irritation I'm feeling is comeing from scar tissue after 4 hours of surgery to remove feathers, wood, and paint.

Then you, my friend, have a good excuse ;). ART

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52:06 pm »
Well ...I guess that I have been doing something wrong for 20+ years then....Because I have always gotten nicks and cuts from Natural Turkey feathers....if they are not trimmed just right....Thats why I won't shoot anyone Else's Arrow any more.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »

Good grief that makes me cringe just thinking about it.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

radius

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 04:23:18 pm »
I shoot longbow and always wear a glove purely for comfort. If you have a problem with the fletches hitting the hand the main reason is that the arrow nocking point is too low. There are several good bow hand gloves around, e.g. Bearpaw), however, I use a BMX cycling glove which works fine.
Hi Allan, I couldn't get to club at the weekend, Mrs Cat had me decorating all week :(.
Hows the bow shooting?
Del

hey Del

Is Allan that lefty guy?  I probly asked you this before, but are you anywhere near York?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 04:33:03 pm »
What happened to your hand Mullet???  sounds serious! .
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......