Author Topic: Tiller check please  (Read 4775 times)

Offline NTD

Tiller check please
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:06:37 am »
This is a straight profile BBI.  My eyes are messing with me again and I can't tell if the tiller is on.  Any input would be appreciated.

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:09:05 am »
Nate, the top limb looks like it has a flat spot about mid limb. About 6" to 8" long. Could be the camera.  Other than that she looks good.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 01:13:45 am »
What Pat said, you could stand to get the fades bending right up to the handle if you want more working limb.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 0209

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:15:13 am »
Hey,
The tiller looks awesome, but yea, maybe a flat spot on the top.  SHouldn't take anymore than 5 scrapes to fix'er.  Great looking bow man.
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:17:58 am »
the top limb does look like it could use some more work in mid limb, but you might have the top of the bow tilted slightly toward the wall to.
                                                                                          Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:20:12 am »
I would say get it bending just a hair more in the top fade, but looks REALLY good to me... I say don't obsess and go shoot it in and then finish it.  i have over-done it on a few bows and then came in under weight.  Go shoot 100 arrows though it and then take another full draw picture.  If nothing changes then call it a greatly tillered successful bow.  What is she drawing right now?  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:24:09 am »
Okay thanks guys.  That's what I saw as well.  

Justin, yeah I know I could get it working a bit more at the handle.  I think I've got it working closer to the handle than the last one, which was my goal.  I'm a bit shy working the handle areas so I think it will have to be a process over a couple bows.

Good point Dennis, I'll take a few more pics.

LOL I love this site.  Every time I try to hit reply I get another post.  Josh it's 56# @29" my goal was 55# but I'd be okay if it was just over 50#.  Also this will probably be my last bow for awhile since my baby is coming soon I'd like to get it as good as I can. ;D ;)

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:33:12 am »
Sounds like a winner in my book then.

PS.  congrats on the new family member!   ;D  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 01:39:58 am »
Here's another pic. 

Thanks Josh, 10 more days...hmm on second thought I might be able to whip up one more.....

Nate Danforth

Offline wodpow

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 02:01:45 am »
That flat spot upper mid limb might be from the bamboo being stronger or thicker there if the belly wood is going to get thinned out I was told you can tiller from the sides of the limbs and get the same affect as with belly thinning . I bought a floor tillered Osage BB backed that had thick BB on the upper limb on the upper half that didn't want to bend and if I would of kept at it I would of had the osage really thin in that area the guys told me to tiller from the side and don't keep at the belly wood. Just my story about tillering a BB backed bow and how I got a little wisdom for free.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 02:03:12 am »
Looks real good. Before seeing the responses I was thinking the same about the top limb. Nothing major just a little bit of a flat area. Looks like its bending a bit more a few inches below that black strip on the top limb but once the flat area below it is worked a little it should be gone.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 02:07:17 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I'll work on that spot and get it finished up with all the pics on sunday. 

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 02:26:06 am »
Nate, brace the bow then sight down each limb. If there are any flat spots you should be able to see them.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 02:29:46 am »
 I'd say shoot it. And check it again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 02:37:17 am »
Here's another pic. 

Thanks Josh, 10 more days...hmm on second thought I might be able to whip up one more.....

??? what?  whip up one more kid?   ???  :P  just kidding!   ;D -josh