Author Topic: 2nd bow attempt...The horny bow  (Read 6416 times)

Mar

2nd bow attempt...The horny bow
« on: December 04, 2009, 04:12:59 am »
Pictures to follow soon and I will need opinions.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 2nd bow attempt...The horny bow
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:11:21 am »
Can't wait. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:01 am »
your a tease make us wait for pics, send them.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 10:39:55 am »
:)
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Mar

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:54:08 am »
I am just about ready to take this stave to the bandsaw.Wondering if I should cut it off or leave it. Horny is on the side of the bow I would like to keep and the stave has a slight twist to it.

Splitting it was a pain, came from that knotty log and have a fat end where two big knots are, reason I want to stick to one side. Stave width at handle is 1 1/4".

One knot I can bypass

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:09:45 am »
i say since ya named it the "horny bow" ya gotta try and leave it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Mar

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:54:59 am »
yeah I don't know if I can leave it. Following the grain looks like it might have to go.

Kirkll

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:02:13 pm »
keep in mind here... i'm just getting familiar with idea of carving a bow out of one piece of wood, and i know this is a primitive archery site....but i'm curious why you would choose a piece of wood like this to do so?

Is it the challenge, or what?  ???  Seems to me any self respecting Indian would use a knotty log like that for firewood, and find himself another tree.

i'm not being critical here bro.... just sincerely curious on your reasoning....Kirk

Mar

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 01:09:12 pm »
Hahaha! yes challenge. I will learn the hard way but this piece is not as bad as it seems. Maybe I'm trying to learn too much at once as in this piece I may have to try to untwist one end if I don't cut it at the first big knot. I like character.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 01:10:26 pm »
Kirk,that's just osage.In fact it's a pretty good stave,better than most of mine.  ;) God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Mar

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 01:12:01 pm »
Kirk,that's just osage.In fact it's a pretty good stave,better than most of mine.  ;) God Bless

Actually it's Pacific Yew.

Mar

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 01:49:38 pm »
Here's a bow that isn't fun to lug around, 412# @28", made out of Holly.

Kirkll

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 02:08:11 pm »
Well Mar,  I'm no self bowyer, and i'm up for getting started at learning the whole process..... but if you'll pardon the pun here, i'll use an old expresion my grandad used to use on occasion..... "Son, i believe you are barkin' up the wrong tree there."   :) :)

is it just my eyes, or do you have knots running both directions in that proposed stave? is that the right term?

there is a good quesrtion for you seasoned vets.... when exactly does a piece of wood you have harvested become a "Stave".  I've got a bunch of "proposed" staves, or wanna be staves...... but....i'm quite certain some of these will end up warming my feet, rather than harvesting game.

Offline Hojo

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »
Hey Mar, outstanding tiller on that HEAVY holly bow!  I see you are trying one of those skinny strings on it....

Kirkll -- IMO, any piece of wood that you have that might eventually become a bow is called a stave.  It only gets called firewood once you decide that there is just no way that it can possibly work.  I think the important thing to keep in mind is that you shouldn't apply the 'firewood' name to a piece of wood too early.  Self-bowyers, like wood, go through a seasoning process that may eventually take them to the place where Mar is----where you WANT to take on the challenge of a challenging stave. 

Good luck with your stave Mar.  Keep us posted with your progress!

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 04:43:54 pm »
Mar,

Must have been a hoot steaming that reflex/deflex into that holly bow!  Bet you had to boil that sucker for a week!   ;)