Author Topic: Flint River Dagger (finished pictures)  (Read 5816 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Flint River Dagger (finished pictures)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »
  I like it! I know it wasn't me you picked.  :( How do you make those marbles?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 05:48:33 pm »
I'm sorry, but it won't go to Minnesota. :-X

Eddie, I was a marble maker long before I ever made a bow.
 It's a craft that is passed down in my area from generation to generation among Rolley Hole marble players.
 You first pick a piece of good solid flint at least 1" thick and start grinding it into as round of ball as you can.  Once you get it as round as you can. You place it in a shallow depression chipped into a Carborundum stone and VERY carefully ease it over against a rubber wheel mounted on a bench grinder.  This will start the marble to spin inside the depression and eventually become smooth.  If they didn't have any grinders. Some of the old timers would "peck" them out with a file, jack up their car, put it in gear and spin them against the tire :o
   Getting one perfectly round takes some practice, but I've made a few hundred that mic'd out perfect.  The rock has to have a perfect consistency for that to happen.
  You can make a marble from most any rock. But for a good "playing" marble, it takes a different kind of "flint" than we use for knapping.  I don't know exactly what kind of rock it is.  James Parker called it "man rock" ;D
  Agate, Jasper and some of the more translucent flints would make a really pretty marble.
  Here's a picture of a few I had laying around.  The two big ones, I made for knife handles. The three in the middle are my playing marbles and the two on the right are from rock a couple of old timers gave me years ago.
 Maybe sometime if there's enough enterest, I'll do a "make-a-long" 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Newbow

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 02:47:59 am »
I'd like to see a marblle make-a-long, when you get the time.  That would be quite interesting.  It might create one more hobby I won't have time for.  Can't have too many!

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 05:16:28 am »
I never thought I would say this to a guy but you got some sweet lookin' marbles  ;D I will keep a look out for that build along, that does sound like another habit forming idea. I don't think you can ever know how to do to many things for yourself.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 09:53:42 am »
Very cool. You have talent.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline StevenT

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 10:10:13 am »
I'd like to see more on this also. I had no idea there was someone around that made marbles. I know it doesn,t have anything to do with bows or knapping, but it does involve flint. And that one looks awesome on the end of the blade. More, more, more......

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:12 am »
Would really appreciate a build along for the marbles.  I am old so when I was a kid we played marbles FOR KEEPS!  So still have a collection with some old ones and even some from trips to South America.  You have talent!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline sailordad

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 11:17:39 am »
Would really appreciate a build along for the marbles.  I am old so when I was a kid we played marbles FOR KEEPS!  So still have a collection with some old ones and even some from trips to South America.  You have talent!  Joe

is there any other way to play?
we used to go down to the train yard and walk the rails.
we were looking for te ball bearings that would occaisonaly be found along the tracks.they were from the hub of the axle from the box cars.
they were geat for playing marbles with,steel boulders.man when ya hit the others they would scatter >:D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 04:30:39 pm »
Tim, playing "for keeps" is a childs game.   The kind of marbles we play around here is for everyone.  But most of the serious players are older men.  We have a National Rolley Hole marble tounament every year at Standing Stone State Park.. Do a yahoo search for "Rolley Hole Marbles"  you'll learn more about it. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 04:12:15 pm »
I have searched the internet and I cannot find anything on making stone marbles. Lots on glass marbles. Saw, you have to show more! Just a few pics would be nice. Especially the grinding wheel. I'm assuming the  shallow depression chipped into a Carborundum stone has to be pretty precise in order for the stone to start spinning. How do you make the depression? and to put it against a spinning rubber wheel.... I have bet you have shot more than one across the room. Needless to say, I'm amazed and still watching for more info.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 04:42:47 pm »

is there any other way to play?
we used to go down to the train yard and walk the rails.
we were looking for te ball bearings that would occaisonaly be found along the tracks.they were from the hub of the axle from the box cars.
they were geat for playing marbles with,steel boulders.man when ya hit the others they would scatter >:D

We used to do the same thing & also use 'em for slingshot ammo.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.