Author Topic: Non-Primitive Bow Materials  (Read 30723 times)

Shadow Walker

Re: Non-Primitive Bow Materials
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2009, 08:22:55 pm »
Sounds cool, where did you get that stone drawknife? Iv'e been looking all over for one. Can't find one at lowe's or Home depot!

Offline Loki

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:53 pm »
In the chronicles and diaries of Lewis and Clark they talk about a native American that had a steel bow apparently made from a wagon hoop.
Indians (Asian) have a rich history of Steel Bows.

This one's a take down!  ;D
http://www.antiqobay.com/product_desc.php?id=322
Durham,England

Offline Dano

« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2009, 08:39:37 pm »
Cool bow!!
Shadow Walker, I was lying >:D But I know a few knappers that could make me a stone drawknife if I need.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Shadow Walker

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2009, 10:03:33 pm »
Yeah, I knew you were kidding, but it would be cool!, however, primitive doesn't neccasarily mean stone age.Metal has been around for a few centuries. I wonder what kind of performance could be expected from that metal bow?

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2009, 11:17:54 pm »
Those Indian bows are so cool.  But I don't know what is more interesting, the steel limbs or the loose fiber string.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Jesse

« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:29 pm »
I had an antique steel bow. Manufactured in the USA I believe. Traded it to Eddie. After shooting the steel bow the only reason I can see to make one is if your out of wood. ;D not a great performer at all. Looks cool though
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:36 am »
I had an antique steel bow. Manufactured in the USA I believe. Traded it to Eddie. After shooting the steel bow the only reason I can see to make one is if your out of wood. ;D not a great performer at all. Looks cool though

I suspect that their performance was not meaured by a chronometer.  ;D I have a vague recollection of reading about other advantages, but I certainly cannot attest to them.  It might have just been the social advantage of looks, which I would not discount for a prince, but I think production factors and or durability are more likely.  It definately would not be my first choice for hunting that is for sure. 
Steve in LV, NV

Offline sailordad

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2009, 01:33:09 am »
here i bet some of these might perform decent
not primitive,but old none the less

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Shadow Walker

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2009, 02:50:10 am »
There's enough steel there to build leaf springs for your truck, or you could cut them up and make some mighty fine spring steel rapier blades!. I like the short recurve to the far right though!

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2009, 08:31:39 am »
thanks for the pic sailor. If anyone's interested, thats at the pope and young museum in chatfield, MN. you can't believe the stuff they have packed in there, it s a great place.
45# at 27"

Offline Dano

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2009, 10:16:04 am »
I've got a bow exactly like the one fifth from the left. It's light but a cool little bow. It's called a  Seefab Diana, made in Sweden.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Jesse

« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2009, 01:48:22 pm »
mine was the second to the left. very slow :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:37 pm »
Funny how a thread about non primitive materials turned into showing steel bows ;D I see this getting moved to anything else shortly :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2009, 02:09:41 pm »
Jesse, you know it will switch to food sooner or later....;D And the reason that we don't have a twenty-page set of itemized rules resembling a tax booklet or summons for a paternity suit (with bullet points, subparagraphs, sheaves of fine print and 8x10 glossy photographs with notations on the backs) is simply that we don't need them-we like simple stuff, that's why we make wooden bows.  Most members don't need that-we are a wooden bow site, and common sense and reading the general flow of things over a period of time should tell anyone who pays attention pretty much what is acceptable and unacceptable. There are only a couple people I've ever seen in all my years here who wanted to constantly argue and nitpick about the details of the rules instead of talk about archery. (not talking about you Okie-you're definitely not one of them.) It's not like we're going to come to your house and shoot you in the kneecaps if you post a bow backed with a strip of Goodyear Wrangler A/T radial, anyway. :D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2009, 02:54:34 pm »
It's not like we're going to come to your house and shoot you in the kneecaps if you post a bow backed with a strip of Goodyear Wrangler A/T radial, anyway. :D

Hmm... I wonder if used tire will work for a bow backing.... Got my cogs turning with that one Hillbilly!   ;D  -josh

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln