Author Topic: Non-Primitive Bow Materials  (Read 30720 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Non-Primitive Bow Materials
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:46:20 am »
There has been some concern over the use of phenolic in making bows, in this case the handle. The concern is that phenolic is not a true natural material. But we use Urac-185 and resorcinol glues in making laminated bows. These substances are absolutely not natural. Google up phenolic, Urac-185 and resorcinol and you will see what I mean. Without suitable glues, there will be no Laminate Bow of the Month entries.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Non-Primitive Bow Materials
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:38 am »
Don, I believe as long as these materials are used only as accessory(tip and handle overlays or in a built-up handle riser) and not used in the performance of the bow, they should be acceptable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 12:10:18 pm »
I agree with Pat. But I have to admit I use B 50 for strings and feel pretty guilty about using the stuff on a selfbow. But just a caveat. We have to watch the steadily encroaching non natural materials in the Primitive Selfbow contest. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 12:12:12 pm »
If used as pat states..I to think they should be accepted.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 12:18:38 pm »
...so are you saying that if we use Urac 185 to glue up our bows that they cannot contend in the laminate bow of the month contest?   If so that's cool just need to know of a more suitable glue to use instead.   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:24:37 pm »
Josh, that's what OldBow is asking. IMO, modern glues are acceptable. Phenolic limb lams are not!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:03 pm »
Laminate bows were and are made with hide glues.  I don't think that substituting modern and more waterproof glues makes a difference in performance, or appearence.  But, substituting high tech for working parts of the bow does seem likely to affect performance and appearance.  I'm sure they make good bows, just not what this forum is about.   My opinion.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline shikari

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:25:12 pm »
I know what you gents are talking about as I was trying to find pure raw silk thread for strings and so far have not been able to find any anywhere,now if I was in India I could get it in any city,same goes for pure hise glue(pearl glue).

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »
Hide glue is a bit difficult to use when gluing up laminates because it gels too fast, I've done it but it is a pain.  A good alternative is fish glue as it stays liquid and it is pretty strong
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »
I don't think that the non primitive aspect should be looked down upon so much....keep it at NO fiberglass and NO "non primitive" materials that add to bow performance...for example im sure we've all used true oil or some other kind of waterproof finish that isn't primitive but they don't add anything to the way the bow performs...in that case I think it would be ok....just my opinion...

-ky
GBR!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 03:01:00 pm »
I agree with Pat also. If its just used cosmetically and not for performance or as part of the limbs I think it should be allowed. I would think that phenolic in the handle would be less offensive than a b50 string or tb or urac glues. Its not hard to make a bow without phenolic in the handle but its a bit more difficult to make a good hunting bow glued with hide or fish glue and a sinew string. I think the strings ,glues, and sealers we use are cheating a little bit but most seem willing to use them and its been accepted so far. I guess there could be another class added of truly primitive material bows but it would be a select few that would be willing to go that route often. I think its fine the way it is now. we all have our own personal limits beyond what pa accepts. Most people here I suspect wouldnt want to use phenolic in their bows anyways :)  
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »
I'd also consider it a safety issue.  Period pewter drinking vessels were made with leaded pewter, I'm not drinking out of those anymore, not when the "safe" pewter looks just fine.  The modern glues look just fine to me as well, and have a better margin of error.  You would also have to get rid of any bow that was not made out of the right combination of woods, not using the right finish (or lack there of), not using brain tanned leather,  period dyes, period nocks, period shapes, etc etc.  While some folks strive towards historically accurate gear, and I can only encourage/emulate that, I think the vast majority just want to keep the essence of traditional or primitive gear.  Just look at the popularity of "modern American style long bows", I like them too.  Unfortunately it's a bit of a blurry line unless you want a completely accurate kit.  I think you would have to make a subcategory for completely period/primitive gear.  I would love to see that and it would get my vote to start one, but after reading some of the BOM/best arrow back logs, I understand the logistical , and financial nightmare that posses.  PA generosity towards it's readers and forum users is above average as it is.  IMHO

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 03:35:00 pm »
uh oh, we're on the slippery slope. i could build a bow with 100% natural materials, milkweed string, and finished with bear fat. but what if i ordered the stave on the internet, used a bandsaw to rough out the bow, cut down the milkweed with my gas powered weed eater, and shot the bear with a scoped center-fire rifle (By the way i haven't done any of these things except the bandsaw part).

i agree with pat, as long as it is non-performance enhancing it is OK for laminates.

45# at 27"

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 03:40:19 pm »
   We went through a similar issue in the official flight shooting committee which is associated with the olympics. They decided synthetic glues would be accepted as they added no performance benefit and were difficult to prove or disprove in bows. We still have to use natural strings as these bows are judged strictly on performance. I don't see where synthetic strings should be an issue where the bow itself is actually what is being judged. Phenolic or any other synthetic laminated to the bow itself I would rather see disqualified. Steve

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 03:41:38 pm »
I agree with Badger
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln