Author Topic: primitive axes  (Read 4951 times)

Offline Blacktail

primitive axes
« on: November 29, 2009, 05:09:33 pm »
o.k. i just read Jamie's writings in pa about his kids and stone tools..and it was one of the best readings i have read...and it really inspired me..so,i want to start with axes...so.how do you go about hafting a WELL SUCERED axe..for the head i am thinking about using dacite..it might fracture easy but if it is thick it might work well..i am interested in the halfting..so,what is your info...oh,Jamie..thanks so much for the article..john

Offline Blacktail

Re: primitive axes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:02 pm »
does any one have pics of axes..john

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 12:33:35 am »
  You might want to check out this  site... www.megalithics.com   The guy who runs that site has axes that he`s made & tells how to make them, I`m not sure that he shows the actual hafting method he uses, but you can probably figure it out from looking at the pics he`s got posted... look in the area he calls "Ax me no questions".
  Have you checked out the Paleoplanet site?  they have a lot of different areas that you might find interesting as well.
         www.             paleoplanet69529.com      will get ya there. look for the forums area & enjoy the eye candy
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:26:26 am by Lobo69ss »
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:57:49 am »
 John, I'll post a picture of mine hafted when I get home. It is the sister of the one in Jamies article.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:15:31 pm »
 Here you go, John. The handle is Osage, wrapped with hemp. I cheated because I didn't want to keep repairing it and glued it in with TB3. Then I sealed the glue joints with pine pitch. I've cut down two small oaks with it. You need to make the handles short, or they will break. You can't swing them like a metal axe. You kinda have to chop at an angle with short strokes.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:26 pm »
thanks Eddie,i really interested in hafting..and what makes a secure axe...i hope the pics will help me out..thanks john

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:24:48 pm »
hey Eddie,in the 3rd pic is of the back..did you cut the top of the axe and slide it down to the area where it is halfed...and i am assuming that its pinepitched and what did you use to wrap it...i was thinking of rawhide...thanks so much for the help..and the axe is wonderful work..john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:49:54 pm »
 John, no Most of these style of axes were inserted into an oval hole to match the axe. The more you cut with it the tighter it got. The wrapping is hemp.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:23:37 am »
ok eddie...i am going to try to make some during the winter..thanks for pics..john

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 10:17:19 am »
hey john there are two types . axes and celts. celts are like eddies. they are fitted into the wood and wrapped so the sapling doesnt split. it is definetly the stronger method of the two and will allow you to take a good swing but not like a steel axe. mine is an axe . it is a sapling that is thinned down flat on the end for about a foot . you wrap that thinned area back over the axe head and then wrap the whole deal with wet rawhide. it works very well but does loosen up and needs to be rewrapped occassionally. dacite will work . i made an obsidian celt for rick trojanowski and used it to take down a sapling. you just need to be a bit more careful when you swing the more brittle material. most of the axes and celts in my area were of basalt and are done by pecking and grinding. takes a long time but is an incredible piece of work once its done and there is no holding back with a good basalt celt. they are capable of much more abuse. chert and flint are second in line with durability cause if you knock a chip off the edge it is just sharpening itself and creating a new edge. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:01 am »
hey,jamie thanks..you gave me some good info on that..now,i know the differants bettween the two...my troulbe is that i dont know if my pine pitch will do its job...it seem kind of brittle when dry...i might have to get some deer dropping to help it out..thanks john

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:53 am »
a little oil will make it less brittle. with a good fit its not even that necessary
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct