Author Topic: Boo Backed Bloodwood and IPE  (Read 12924 times)

Offline Asiertxu

Re: Boo Backed Bloodwood and IPE
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 11:49:28 am »
Thatīs about one of the BEST laminated bows Iīve seen in a very long time Gordon!
You really nailed it!!  8) :)...
Best regards master...
Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 12:11:09 pm »
Sweet  looking  bamboo bow:) What  kind  of  a  shooter  is  it  Gordon?  Be  interested    in a  chrono  on  that puppy:)
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 12:19:57 pm »
Wow! and November BOM is coming up tomorrow, too!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 06:06:28 pm »
Another awesome bow, I always look forward to seeing your bows on line, but I like to come down after the new year and see some in person. Greg

radius

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »
Gordon, what i meant was...

I want to do a bow swap with you, too!

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 09:26:46 pm »
wow looks terrific braced and the way you made all the wood of the handle blend into the limbs looks fantastic
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 09:04:09 am »
Excellent as always, Gordon.  Your bows are always an inspiration to me.  Well done...again.

Dan

Grunt

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 09:38:33 am »
I especially like your treatment of the tip overlays Gordon. Effective, gracefull without adding mass. I learned something looking at your posts. Thanks

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43:12 am »
Gordon your bow is another beauty. Your overlay tips are so smooth. Someday Gordon show us how you make those overlay tips blend right into the bamboo so good. That is something I just can't get to look as good as yours. Dean

Offline StanM

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »
Beautiful bow, Gordon.  The bows match the man, classy  ;)  Would like to see it sometime this winter.  Take care,

Stan
This house is where I take my natural rest, but my home is out there, beyond the back door.   ~ Albert "Salmo" McClain, 1965

Oregon

Kirkll

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 01:17:51 pm »

Good morning Gordon,

very nice looking working limb on this one. power lams do wonders for pushing it out towards the tips more. i bet you are getting very good performance on that one.

i have a few basic questions that may sound odd. but why do the self Bowyer's use cabinet scrapers to lean down these limbs? the only thing I've ever used a cabinet scraper for in all my years as a carpenter was scraping glue off of cabinets.

another question i have originates from your build along post.   very nice job on that BTW.... but i watched you go through the whole process of tillering and getting the finished weight dialed in..... THEN you applied the grip build up, the silk backing and snake skins. this confused me.

my question is this:  If you are building a design that flexes through the grip portion of the bow like that one, doesn't the additional materials added in the grip one inch off center effect the tiller balance?

And wouldn't the added backing effect the balance of the working limb somewhat too, as well as add additional draw weight?

BTW.... i believe we are neighbors. :)...i live over in Mulino just south of Oregon City.

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 01:40:29 pm »
Hey Kirk, good to see you over here. I use a cabinet scraper myself on most all hardwoods. It takes very little physical effort and removes just enough wood with each stroke to not have too much effct on the tiller. You can take a lot of strokes in a short amount of time so a bow can be tillered out very quickly with one. I like to use the scraper on a very slightly rounded belly, almost so slightly rounded that it appears flat to the naked eye. Steve

Kirkll

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 02:11:08 pm »
Thanks badger,

DCM sent me a pretty cool looking Osage stave, and i'd like to do it justice.  So i figured i better get my buns over here and learn a bit of the fine arts of wood manipulation before i start into it.

Besides that bro... i'm coming into my 4th year of my bowyers apprenticeship, and its time to get into the icing of the cake so to speak. i purposely saved this adventure for last.

i got a feeling its going to be tough going back to grinding composites after getting into the primitive tradecraft, and just working my hands in wood here. just a gut feeling i have....lol

Kirk

Offline Gordon

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 03:17:09 pm »
Kirk,

As Steve said, a scraper allows very fine removal of the wood as you dial in the tiller. You could use a file for that, but I prefer a scraper because near the end all you should be doing is bringing the weight down and a scraper allows you to remove wood in long even strokes.

I believe any effect that silk and/or snake skin backing has on tiller to be neglegable so I don't worry about it. Building up the handle with leather probably stiffens the area up a bit, but not enough to make a real difference.
Since you are so close we should get together and trade notes sometime.

Gordon
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:53:13 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline RT

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 08:46:38 pm »
Beauiful bow Gordon.....................RT
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188