Author Topic: long-armed guy wants shorter bow  (Read 4337 times)

Offline snedeker

long-armed guy wants shorter bow
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:48:18 pm »
I made a 69" ash selfbow for a fellow a couple years ago, 31" draw, and he says its hard to maneuver hunting around here in central PA.  Gets suprisingly jungle-like around here.   I'm thinking about how to get him a shorter bow to still draw 31" (he is 6'7").   Sinewed osage?  Hickory backed osage r/d?  How short do you think I could go?

Dave

radius

Re: long-armed guy wants shorter bow
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »
maybe he's just whinging?  After all, getting through dense bush must be hard for a guy that size, no matter what he's carrying!

why not make him a holmegaard?  shorter bow with a longbow's easy draw, lots of punch.  If you go wide with a tension-strong wood (pick one), you can pull a 60# bow out of a stave 64" long, say, and that will be about mid-torso on him or so.

maybe he'd be better off hunting with a crossbow or a rifle?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 03:25:44 pm »
Dave, a sinew backed osage will allow you a longer draw for a short bow. You should be able to go 60" to 62" with a sinew backed osage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:27:20 pm »
                                                          And a Bendy Handle........ ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »
I would think an 64" osage could do it anyway. If you sinew back it, it would go way beyond 31". You could also do a deflex recurve selfbow with a short non bending handle and get under 60" in length.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

radius

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:40:08 pm »
i wanna try that!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 06:38:53 pm »
I would not make anything in selfbow much shorter than that for a 31 in draw. I made a 72 in bow for a 33 in draw friend.P used osage. Sinew in a rainy, humid environment like FL may not be a good idea. Rawhide might get you a few inches shorter. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:15:10 pm »
I failed to add a point of information that he is tasked with supplying me with some osage.  He is a field man in our archaeological outfit and we have a project going in a farm area with osage in lots of the hedge rows.  Delaware.   Based on our stipulations we can cut anything for "surveying" purposes 4" in diam.    One option may be a shorter d-style r/d out of it, or I might try hick on some osage lumber I have.      His bows are all free - its nice to be appreciated by the staff

Dave

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 10:58:30 pm »
A short D/R bow with a reverse handle and fliped up tips with take pretty long draws since your not bending the limbs nearly as far as a straight limbed bow. Just the reverse handle with give a couple extra inches of draw length to play around with.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Mar

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:19:53 am »
Cut his arms shorter?

Sorry just being silly. maybe one of these designs would do the trick.

That's all for now.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 09:23:04 am »
 Dave, I would take a serious look at the little r/d bows that Mark builds. He's definitely the man with knowledge for the short bow with a for longer draw lengths. Something like this.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,16031.msg220664.html#msg220664

Offline shikari

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »
Horn bow and you could easily be around 50"ntn.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 01:07:48 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  Those are great pics Mar also.

I think it may well be a shortish r/d of hickory backed osage.

I am thinking of doing a horn bow soon, but I don't think I'll give away my first one.  This is a freebee deal. ;D

Dave

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 02:24:11 pm »
I have a 65" sinew backed white oak bow I've been pulling to 30" at nearly 90#- stiff handle. With Osage and a bending handle, you'd probably be able to go so short he'd have string pinch problems ;D

Sitting Coyote

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 06:04:14 pm »
Why not have him reduce his draw length, go for something drawn to the shoulder rather than cheek, or to the upper part of the bicep.  Seems like that's the easiest way to reduce bow length.  A well-made 55 inch bow can be drawn to 24 inches without being backed.