Author Topic: red oak holmegaard  (Read 19803 times)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
Re: red oak holmegaard
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 12:42:59 am »
The Guy that ordered it wanted it this way. The handle section is 8 inches long, so you grab it on the 4" beneath the window/shelf/ whatever its called
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 12:44:01 am »
heres another view of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline adb

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 12:50:18 am »
The Guy that ordered it wanted it this way. The handle section is 8 inches long, so you grab it on the 4" beneath the window/shelf/ whatever its called
You're actually going to give this bow to someone? Is it someone you know? Are you selling it? If it breaks and hurts someone, you could be in for a huge headache.

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 01:00:03 am »
Oh yes to all the above.
 Im going to tiller it to 55lbs at 31"

i think I'll maybe wrap the ends of the antler. Its rediculously firm at the handle I've been testing it. and not even a little budge from it
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline johnny

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 04:44:43 am »
hi...sorry for my English...a good idea is wrap with sinew or also hard fiber the fades and the handle overlay...for safety...when you tiller the bow, the overlay glue line maybe to break...i see wood fiber is sectioned near the overlay...another reason to brake at this portion...

good luck with your bow ;)

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 09:51:42 am »
Its a simple butt joint.
I was thinking of wraping it with sinew. Though im trying to think of a way of not completely ruinning the look of the antler overlay. Yes the over is just for structural support but it also makes it look seriously badass. any suggestions?
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 01:33:23 pm »
You're actually going to give this bow to someone? Is it someone you know? Are you selling it? If it breaks and hurts someone, you could be in for a huge headache.

Depends on how he goes about it.  I make a lot of things...the wire figures I make can be seen in the trading post...just about all of my customers sign their name to a sales slip which has, at the bottom, just above the "sign here" line, a statement that reads "By signing, customer agrees that any damage to property or person as a result of use, display, or storage of (the item) is the sole responsibility of the customer.  Customer agrees to accept full responsibility of ownership, use, handling, and storage of (the item)."  All states vary, but in Texas that stands as a complete release of liability.

I would have advised against it, but had the buyer insisted it would have been cut the same way.  The customer is always "right"...even when they're wrong.  I actually had one guy bring his bike to me and list symptoms and, instead of having me diagnose the bike, gave me a list of things to do as "corrections"...he was somewhat distraught when none of the tasks he asked me to performed fixed his bike.  Of course I cut him a great deal on doing to correct repairs...but sometimes it's better to let the customer learn the hard way.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline TBod

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
A full draw pic perhaps?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 06:55:19 pm »
Well I cut arrow shelves in my bows all the time, as long as you left it thick enough belly to back not to bend it should be fine. You people that never cut a arrow shelf in a bow don't know what your missing.  ::)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline bootboy

• vinland longbows
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 08:53:09 am »
its now about 2 1/2" thicks and re-enforced by sinewed antler. I think its going to be good.
knapp 'um if you got 'um

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 09:16:41 am »
I sort of have missed this thread, don't know why...
Honestly, I strongly recommend NOT to give this bow to a cutomer, no matter how save it might seem to feel!
Frank from Germany...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2009, 09:56:45 am »
Ryan, that's the point. He didn't leave it thick enough. mackenzie, I don't sell bows  but the customer is not right when it comes to structural integrity that is if I wanted to have  a customer which I don't. LOL. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 10:09:46 am »
Ryan, that's the point. He didn't leave it thick enough. mackenzie, I don't sell bows  but the customer is not right when it comes to structural integrity...

ABSOLUTLY!!!

Ps: Been reading some more through the thread; did you say you glued on the antler overlay with carpenter's glue? Did I understand that right???
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:30:13 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2009, 11:29:18 am »
mackenzie, I don't sell bows  but the customer is not right when it comes to structural integrity that is if I wanted to have  a customer which I don't. LOL. :) Jawge

I don't sell a lot of bows...and the ones I sell are premade, more often than not.  When I say "the customer is always right" I don't mean that they are; what I mean is that they get what they want.  When it comes to the things that I AM a professional about, I try to make it a point to get them to ask me what they need as opposed to telling me.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2009, 06:26:48 pm »
LOL. I know what you meant. I just disagree. But like I said ...:) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!