Author Topic: My first bow  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Benvse

My first bow
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:04:09 pm »
Sixth try is a charm.  I finally built a bow.  It was from a red oak board.  It came in about fifteen pound slighter than i wanted but it still pulls 30 pounds at 26 inches.  I am pretty happy for my first bow and wanting to already make another one.  Thanks to all of you on this forum and TBB 1 for all of the help here are picks.  Bow is not backed.  68 Inches long nock to nock  1.5 inches long at handle with half inch tips.  It is a D bow with a flat belly.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: My first bow
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:19:23 pm »
cool bow!  looks like the top limb is longer than the bottom limb though, is that intentional?  That first success sure feels good doesn't it?   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »
Way to go.  It does feel good to get that first bow to spitten some arrows.

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:47:36 pm »
How  does she  shoot?
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »
Your bow is doing all it's bending right at the handle and fades. The limbs are almost completely flat and non-bending,especially the tips. You need to get more of the outer limbs working to avoid breakage and excessive set. The one small area of your bow is doing all the work, and is therefore very overstressed. Your bow's tiller should describe a nice even and more round shape. Keep trying!!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:23:30 pm »
Completly agree with adb, most of the bow is dead weight,   .......good effort but keep that in mind for the next one
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:46:53 pm »
The advice given is on the mark - but, man - congratulations!  Getting a bow to shoot is a huge accomplishment.  I think I got my first shooter this past march and it was #6, or 7, too. 

I learned a boat-load from good hickory boards.  Hickory is forgiving and functional.  That is my recommendation.

Congratulations, again - seeing the post "my first bow" is my favorite to see on this site.

Much appreciated.
1’—>1’

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »
congrats man! i finished my first one today. same thing, red oak board bow, 71 inches or so, 30-40 pound draw. light poundage, but its a bow man!
lets just shoot it