Author Topic: Short lower limbs?  (Read 7063 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Re: Short lower limbs?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 12:12:38 pm »
If it's true that equal length limbs overstress the top limb it should be way more common for top limbs to fail than bottom, but I'm not sure that's really the case. If not, then tillering the lower limb stiffer should do the same job as unequal limbs. Does anyone notice top limbs failing more than bottoms?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 12:23:12 pm »
I have probably had more top fail but I think it is because I build a lot of character bow and the one with the most snake or knots or other character I try and use on top. On good clean bows I haven't noticed it. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 01:48:32 pm »
I personally only get overstressed lower limbs, but still haven't got my head around the mechanics of how pulling the bow off centre affects the leverage of the string, and also it depends on how you hold and pull the bow, if you dig in the heel of the hand etc.
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 02:16:38 pm »
Give this a read, maybe several reads...maybe all of this will make more sense then.

http://bowyersedge.com/organic.html

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 11:43:23 am »
Thanks for posting Tom, love to read his stuff,....don't agree with everything he says, but love to read his stuff ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 12:27:56 pm »
Good link Tom!  The first part also addressed a question I asked a while back.  He believes quick drying osage and naturally curing osage over a much longer period has no difference on the bow....Sorry- I know that was off topic, but you get a lot of different opinions regarding aging wood on here....
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 04:41:06 pm »
The bow Im hunting with this year has a lower limb 3/4" shorter than the top.  I tried out what Dean was speaking of.  I have to say, I like it.  It spits an arrow well and seems to have no hand shock.

Offline Dano

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 06:04:20 pm »
Good point Manny, Dean never intended that every one should agree with him, these are just his words for us to enjoy.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 09:14:33 pm »
The first few years I built all my bows with the top limb 1 1/4" longer than the bottom.They perform very well. The last few years I have built nearly all equal lenght limbs,they perform very well.Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to detect a difference. ;D God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline artcher1

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 09:25:48 pm »
You have to admire Dean and his ability to get someone to thinking. Dean's article, the way it was presented, makes a strong case for negative tillered bows. I know some of the positive tillered bows that I gave away to certain individuals could have benefited from a stronger upper and/or lower limb. So Dean's argument does have merit.

I like to think that everybody is a little bit right and everybody is a little bit wrong on certain matters. I think that's the case here. Dean presented his case on equal tip weight/strain alone. Here, a bow can be tillered for above or below of the dimensional center of the bow depending on where the greater hand pressure lies. It would be easy to build a bow with a two foot lower limb and a four foot upper limb and have equal tip strain. But then you would have to account for unequal limb mass.

Jumping back to the bows I gave away that ended up with more positive tiller than desired, these bows were gripped futher above dimensional center than designed creating greater strain on the upper limb. Here a more negative tiller bow would have been approperate. Same thing happened to many of my bows where the shooters applied to much heel pressure than designed. Here a greater positive tiller would have surficed.

But IMO, to get it right, you have achieve both equal limb strain AND limb mass (as close as possible).  Then using the proper grip per arrow pass layout to maintain equilibrium, you will only have a need for a positive tiller bow. Adding "equal limb mass" only adds to creating even less shock to the bow. ART