Author Topic: Epiphany at work  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Kegan

Epiphany at work
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:47:50 pm »
A week or so ago I posted about learning the error of my ways, and the beginning of my new, Bible-following ways. This morning I got a bow tillered to shooting that showed that design REALLY matters :).

The bow was a failed 90# hickory bow. Too narrow, overstressed too soon. I piked it, tried to turn it into a R/D- The belly damage was awful, so there were small cracks and it had some serious set (about 2" string follow when I started reworking it). Anyway. Got it shooting, and at 65# at 30" the bow shot as fast if not faster than any other bow I've made with a 600 gr arrow (and faster than numerous heavy ones, but with less handshock or difficulty shooting). 60 yards point on distance, I dropped three arrows into the target with one flyer (above no less). I unstrung it to check the actual weight and do a little work on the handle... and it had 3 1/2" deflex/string follow on the top limb and 2 1/2" on the bottom!

Even with imperfect tiller, a butt load of deflex, and shotty tillering practices and care- this stiff, light tipped bow still shot like a dream. I can't believe I didn't take my Bibles more seriously before >:(! I have two or three of these bows in the works (several of which are showing similiar performance) that I'll have photos of soon enough. Now if only I can finally get a bow of this design to finish out at 70-75# ;D

Offline woodstick

Re: Epiphany at work
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 07:50:17 pm »
you will young grasshopper i got faith in ya, look forward to seeing pics.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 09:06:54 pm »
 Kegan, You will be the next generation in the series of BB.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:05:26 pm »
Thanks guys ;D. At this rate, I think I'll have to redo my list of bowmaking goals.

"Make a 100# hunting bow" won't need to be on there unless I still want to shoot an elephant... or dinosaur >:D.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »
Here are my first attempts.

Hickory: 66", 65# @ 30". This is the one with lots of deflex. Point On is 60 yards with a 600 gr arrow.

Boo & ipe: 66", 60# @ 28"- this one is my brother's new bow. Point on is 55 or better with a 500 gr cedar arrow- didn't get to test it yet. It made a cracking sound when I drew it for the picutre, I think I'll have to back it.

Hickory: about 70", 55# @ 30"- this was the first try at this stuff. Sinew and epoxy patch on a crack. Point On distance about 53 yards with a 600 gr arrow.

All the tips are about 5/16" or 1/4". I think I should have done more of a pyramid taper, or get the midlimbs bending more. Either way, the speeds are better than prvious bows- despite hinges in seemingly all of the bows :D.

My next steps would be to use more of a pyramid taper and/or get the midlimb bending more. With the 600 gr. arrow, the long draw helps with power and cast. I'm also going to try and get the tips even lighter. I have to work on durability and tiller, but I think that goes without saying :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:37:39 pm »
Got all three of your bows in this thread bookmarked in selfbows (2) and laminate (1) for November BOM. Thanks!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday