Author Topic: Ground hunting question  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Ground hunting question
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:04 pm »
  When hunting by use of mobile blinds, and natural ground blinds, how many of you guys try to stop a walking deer to get a shot? I don't really like to shoot at walking deer, but don't want to set them on alert by grunting, whistling, etc...  I just wanted to know how you guys do it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ground hunting question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:21:45 pm »
Unless a deer is already spooked a grunt or whistle usually won't spook the. In my experience they will stop to try to locate where the sound came from. If you are ready when the deer stops, that's when you should get your shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:31:02 pm »
  When I'm hunting on the ground and stalking or in a blind I always have a turkey diaphram call in my mouth. It calms turkey's, squirrels, and you can stop deer. I especially use it when stalking hogs. It just takes a few clucks or soft purrs to get a hog to stick his face back in the dirt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »
And I thought i was the Inventive One....by doing this!! I always have a Reed in my Mouth while Stalking too....I have stopped many Deer from Bolting with just one Cluck or a Kee Kee....Especially Mule deer....they will stop dead to listen to it....wish that Whitetails were as stupid......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:45 pm »
  They are,,, ::) :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:47:32 pm »
Mullet, try that with elk and they would be in the next mountain range.. so would my horses if they heard a turkey call.. LOL great advise for stopping a deer and calming them. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:18:51 am »
I wouldn't whistle at a mule deer and expect to stop it. Our deer would be packing their bags and leaving the country. Ironically, I have had better luck stopping them with a coyote howl.  ???
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 03:02:08 am »
I wouldn't whistle at a mule deer and expect to stop it. Our deer would be packing their bags and leaving the country. Ironically, I have had better luck stopping them with a coyote howl.  ???

Then their Cousin's here in the Texas Panhandle must be cut from a Different Cloth!! These Stupid Suckers are about as smart as a Room full  of Paint Sniffers!! You can spook them....and whistle....and they will stop and turn Broadside for you to Shoot them....and I am not exaggerating this either! The only thing dumber than a Mulie here is an Antelope.....but thats another Story...... O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 04:01:07 am »
Why would hold a shot if the deer is only walking within 15 yds, don't see why it should prevent a typical close shot
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:59:51 am »
i just put out a small grunt by mouth, it works sometime but i would rather shoot em standing still then moveing, i shot a buck at a slow walk bout 5 years ago with my wheel bow 1 step in the gut and it was alot faster than my sticks.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline JustAim

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 11:35:38 am »
I just say HEY!...and the deer stop to look at me like WHAT! Then l take the shot. ;D  Now during gun season l could care less if they're stopped, walking or running, if they're close enough l'll take a running shot at them and have in the past with good results.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 04:11:41 pm »
Hunt the food source.
Place your blind where they are feeding and they walk right up to you and put thier head down to eat.

or try a mock scrape,if it's right in the trail it should stop every buck moving down the trail.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 04:32:41 pm »

Then their Cousin's here in the Texas Panhandle must be cut from a Different Cloth!! These Stupid Suckers are about as smart as a Room full  of Paint Sniffers!! You can spook them....and whistle....and they will stop and turn Broadside for you to Shoot them....and I am not exaggerating this either! The only thing dumber than a Mulie here is an Antelope.....but thats another Story...... O:)
Yes, it is entirely different there so I would be surprised if they acted the same. Kind of like city folk and country folk.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 06:47:41 pm »
I just say HEY!...and the deer stop to look at me like WHAT! Then l take the shot. ;D  Now during gun season l could care less if they're stopped, walking or running, if they're close enough l'll take a running shot at them and have in the past with good results.

Ditto. Did one like that Friday evening. It came by at a trot going somewhere. It didn't even pay attention to the first couple of soft "hey!'s" so I hollered "hey!" at the top of my lungs and he put on the brakes and got shot. My buddy was in a stand about a quarter mile away and he said he heard me holler. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 12:21:26 am »

Ditto. Did one like that Friday evening. It came by at a trot going somewhere. It didn't even pay attention to the first couple of soft "hey!'s" so I hollered "hey!" at the top of my lungs and he put on the brakes and got shot. My buddy was in a stand about a quarter mile away and he said he heard me holler. :)
Did you get it Hillbilly?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark