Author Topic: Yew Stave  (Read 4778 times)

Offline 0209

Yew Stave
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:38:13 pm »
Hey,
Long time since I've been on but I figured I'd shoot you some questions.  I'm heading home for Thanksgiving this year and well, ordered myself a nice yew stave on ebay for when I get there.  Anyways, the sucker is 50" long and has plenty of wood to work with.  My question is what design would work the best for this short piece of wood and what kind of weight should I expect to get out of her.  Sorry I don't have any pictures or anything, but hopefully that's all the information you need.  Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you all. 
Great work by the way, I've been busy with school and military and all that, but from the looks of it you guys are making some nice stuff.  Love to see it.
Have a good one.
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yew Stave
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:47:17 pm »
Welcome back Ian. Thanks for your service!  8)
   Check out some West Coast style bows. Yew was a favorite among the Tribes out there. An Ishi style bow, perhaps. Mike(El Destructo) and others have a few bow styles that would work for the stave you have.
  Pics would help!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:14:07 am »
For something that short I would go with a bend through the handle design with flipped up (reflexed) tips.
Gordon

radius

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:07 am »
50" seems damn short, depends what draw weight you want.  The shortest yew bow i've made was 57", holmegaard style, pulling 52#@28".  It took considerable set, but still shoots real fast arrows.

Offline shamus

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:28:00 am »
Yeah, that is a short piece of wood.. and a sucker? Hmmm  :-\

More thoughts on yew: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/06/evaluating-yew-wood.html

hope that helps

Offline 0209

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:33:44 pm »
I was browsing about the internet with some of my free time and came across this.  It's an Ishi short bow and well, do you guys think that it'd work with yew?
I'll try and post the image if I can.
If I can't post the image, here's the link:
http://www.thebicyclingguitarist.net/graphics/studies/bow.jpg
Thanks for your time guys, it's really appreciated.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 10:39:18 am »
Ian, I would definitely go for the Ishi design on that stave length. Gordon is right on. Bend through the handle, flip the tips.  ;)

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 10:56:50 am »
you mentioned there was a lot of wood to work with, could you cut it into billets and join together? then you could make whatever you want.