Author Topic: good advice for all of us.  (Read 1251 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
good advice for all of us.
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:19:54 pm »
Consider if you will, this closing paragraph from the introductory chapter of Archery: Its Theory and Practice by Horace A. Ford.

"Before closing this introductory chapter, let me address a few words of advice and encouragement to the beginner. First of all, make up your mind to succeed, for that is one of the best elements of success in everything; and, secondly, expect plenty of difficulties and discouragements, for you will be sure to meet with them. It is not easy to become great in any thing, and archery forms no exception to the rule. Do not go hunting about for a royal road to the bull's eye -none such exists- you must work hard and practice regularly, before even moderate success will reward your efforts. Use your brains as well as your muscles -study as well as practice. Brute force alone will never make an archer. Above all, do not fancy yourself a first-rate shot, when you are only a muff - nothing will so much tend to keep you one all your days as this. A mistaken vanity is the very bane of all improvement. Having once passed the pons asinorum of archery, you will begin at once to taste its pleasures. There is no exercise more healthy or more rational, or which returns more true and genuine gratification to the man who practises it. A well shot arrow lodged in the right place not only pleases the spectator, but is a source of unmingled gratification to the shooter also. May the study of these pages assist you in attaining, as often as possible, this most desirable end."

I got this book from my Mom 3 days ago, and i finished it up last night at work. an excellent read, some things are somewhat outdated, but most all of it is good sound advice.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: good advice for all of us.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:54:04 pm »
Thanks Phil. Words to live by for the wood bowyer. 8)    I have not read Ford's book or a few of the other older volumes but Christmas is just around the corner. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: good advice for all of us.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:26:20 am »
this is just one of the many quotes out of that book that i liked. lately ive been falling more and more into the classics.

P
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.