Author Topic: Rubber pads  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Rubber pads
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:08:54 pm »
Hi All,
What are you making your pressure flaking pads out of?  Tire side walls?  I assume you could also build up one out of leather?

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Rubber pads
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »
Crusher belt
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:15:51 pm »
I'm using the same one I've had for years. Just a piece of conveyor belt about 2"X1 1/2" with a piece of matching 10 guage or so metal JB welded to the back of it. Don't know how many years I've actually been using it but it keeps on ticking ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 04:17:21 pm »
Oops Justin - we were typing at the same time. Crusher belt/ conveyor = one and the same :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:30:51 pm »
Oops Justin - we were typing at the same time. Crusher belt/ conveyor = one and the same :).
Yep, the pad is the same, but I can clearly see from those points that the talent isn't. Nice looking bunch of sharp rocks. When I grow up I want to make them like that.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline StevenT

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:54:09 pm »
I made one out of a thick piece of leather. Sometime or other... I want to make one using the heel sole from a old pair of dock siders.

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 08:32:08 pm »
  I`m using a short piece of a heavy duty mud flap, about 2" wide x 3 1/2" long & 1/2" thick
contact cememted to a piece of 1/8" underlayment (subflooring) material.  It`s cheap & seems
to do the trick well enough for a freebie.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 08:33:44 pm »
 Wow, weird timing. I just glued one up this afternoon. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. I tried something different this time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »
Justin ;D.

Can't wait to see what you've come up with Eddie, hmm - I might need one of those ::).

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »
Thanks guys!  Cowboy, nice work. GREEN with envy!  ;D

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 09:04:57 am »
Yeah mine are about wore out need to glue a leather backing on them.I like a little flexability in them.
Cowboy whats with the fish tail on yorr flaker? I'm guessin a notcher
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 09:49:11 am »
Yep Roger, that's my notcher. It was originally convex but with all the points it became concave over time. It's hammered down flat and thin for narrow notching so wears out fairly quick. I've experimented with many others since that one.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 07:04:50 pm »
I thought I'd try something different this time. We use these rubber disc at work and My last pad was made with one of these. The last time I glued it to a piece of wood. It took about a year till the flakes I ran in the grooves cut all the wood out. So this time I glued two pads together.  It seems to work pretty good as you can see from the test flakes I ran on that piece of Mohogany Obsidean.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
That looks interesting Eddie. May have to look into one of those  ::). I'm used to using a small pad that fits into my hand easily.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:36:00 pm »
 Paul, I hold mine on my leg or the inside of my knee, while I palm the point to the pad.
Lakeland, Florida