Author Topic: Romantic Showers with Bow wood  (Read 2130 times)

Offline NTD

Romantic Showers with Bow wood
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:00:09 am »
Someone made the reccomendation that I might shower with my ipe to make sure it's at a good MC.  How many showers would be required to bring it to a safe level.  I checked the RH of my house and it's at a scary 6-7%. 

Nate Danforth
Nate Danforth

radius

Re: Romantic Showers with Bow wood
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:21:13 am »
way to check it, now you know.

Obviously you'll just humidify the thing, constantly checking m.c. until it's 9 or 10, right?

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:27:11 am »
I'm not sure.  I don't know what the relationship is between RH in the house and the MC of the wood?? But I know that 6-7% RH in the house is pretty darn low.  Don't know if that means the Ipe's MC is 6-7% but I would guess it's not an exact 1:1 ratio between RH and MC.

Nate Danfort

I guess I can just say screw it and make the bows and if they break I'll know LOL.
Nate Danforth

radius

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:51:26 am »
hmm...i thought you had an m.c. reader.  i've never used one, but apparently 9 or 10% m.c. is what you need for the stave or board.  Once it's made you can seal it against atmospheric exchange and you should be fine...

or yeah, just make em til they break

or...send em to sailordad!

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:58:41 am »
Nah no MC meter just a digital RH meter... I can't send these away I traded some nice skins for the boo and I'd really like to be able to turn out at least 1 nice bow out of the 3 ipe/boo slats I have.  Justin Snyder said he thinks Ipe does ok in the drier climates because of the oily nature of it.  So I'll cross my fingers take a nice steamy shower with them for the next couple days and probably start on them Friday.
Nate Danforth

radius

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:01:34 am »
makes sense about the oily wood...i wonder if anyone here has tried teak?

well have fun with that!

don't get carried away!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 01:01:51 am »
Don't worry to much about it Nate. I have watched and checked a lot of wood and I don't think it is a big issue with Ipe or Osage. I left them in the garage in the summer, which as you know is very dry here.  The oily woods just don't seem to dry out that much. Leaving them in the direct sun was different altogether. Ha I was typing while you were.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 01:06:13 am »
wow I can't imagine leaving it in the garage in the summer that is hot and dry!!  Well if they survived that I guess I'll relax a bit.  Thanks Justin
Nate Danforth