Author Topic: Red oak, set...can you get around it?  (Read 5989 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Red oak, set...can you get around it?
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »
Of course I'm building board bows, not from a proper stave, but I'm using good pieces...I only really get irritated when I have a PERFECT grain and I get the same results.  The bow I'm working on right now is still 1.75" at the widest, and comes down to .625" at the nocks. Backed with bamboo.  It pulls 58lbs at 29" (my scale may be reading about 5lbs light, though).  Tiller is smooth, stiff ends, so I know a lot of the force is put mid-limb.

My issue is that every red oak bow I've made...and I've made lots of different kinds...has developed set.  I had one have so much that it seemed to pull the recurve out of the ends.

I've never tried belly tempering.  Could this help?  Is it just a part of working with red oak?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

radius

Re: Red oak, set...can you get around it?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:13:59 pm »
you can't belly temper it now...not from my experience.  It causes the backing to come off.  I mean, you COULD do it.  Remove the backing, clean it all up, temper the belly into reflex...but why not just make a new one?

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28:32 pm »
well from what ive heard red oak isnt great for high poundage bows, so i would try lowering draw weight, but im guessing you want to keep that high.How long are your stiff ends?you could try shortening them(i think?).Also, since alot of the force is put mid-limb, try making it bend more near handle i guess is what i would try.You could also make a bow a bit longer so you would have more limb length to work with. And i dont really know anything about belly tempering so i cant actually answer you there. and i have also heard that red oak does take a fair bit of set/string follow. just my thoughts, hope it you find an answer
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:07 pm »
My board bows are selfbows and take less set than stave bows.  If your bows show < 2 in don't worry about it. Set happens. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:09:41 pm »
That's great jawge. Set happens- that should be the PA shirt moto ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »
It's almost always less than 2"...my limit is 2.5".  If it gets past that point, draw weight gets taken down and the ends are trimmed until set is tolerable.

I wasn't clear...I wasn't really wanting to fix THIS bow.  A made bow you can't do much with.  I'm just looking for things I might try with the next.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:15:06 pm »
Red Oak bows do not have to have string follow !!!!!!

This one in particular is 66" ntn 58 # @ 27 " and has settled in perfectly strait, ...can ask Craig "Westcoast bowyer " that was here and I took this particular bow out for a hunt with him

........Nicely tempered and cotton backed

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

radius

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:00 pm »
manny's just showin off

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:49:16 pm »
well from what ive heard red oak isnt great for high poundage bows, so i would try lowering draw weight, but im guessing you want to keep that high.How long are your stiff ends?you could try shortening them(i think?).Also, since alot of the force is put mid-limb, try making it bend more near handle i guess is what i would try.You could also make a bow a bit longer so you would have more limb length to work with. And i dont really know anything about belly tempering so i cant actually answer you there. and i have also heard that red oak does take a fair bit of set/string follow. just my thoughts, hope it you find an answer

:D .....it's just when I see post like this that make me feel like answering some  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 10:51:48 pm »
Manny, all bows take set. Not all show string follow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 10:53:40 pm »
Ho yeah George I did temper this one into 2" of reflex, ...so 2" of set, 0 string follow  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

radius

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:19 am »

:D .....it's just when I see post like this that make me feel like answering some  ;D

all good, bro...you are a singular talent on this site and i have learned lots from your posts.  Love to try guava.  Maybe in the new year you wanna trade for some pacific yew?  I just pulled in a bunch of logs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:48:14 pm by radius »

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 11:13:35 am »
+1 on belly tempering

If you backed red oak with Bamboo, wouldn't it be overpowered and crush the belly more than necessary?  Tiller shape is a big one too.  Any set close to the handle is greatly multiplied near the tips.

It's almost always less than 2"...my limit is 2.5".  If it gets past that point, draw weight gets taken down and the ends are trimmed until set is tolerable.

I'm curious as to how this can work.  I thought set was fairly permanent and that working a bow down to a lower draw weight would actually increase set.  This has to do with the tillering maxim of never pulling a bow more than its intended draw weight.  I might be missing out completely on some concept here.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:39:54 am »
I recently made a red oak board bow that took no string follow...  Heated around 3 inches of reflex at floor-tiller stage so it took 3 inches of set with zero string follow.  This was my father's bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 11:48:12 am »
If you backed red oak with Bamboo, wouldn't it be overpowered and crush the belly more than necessary?  Tiller shape is a big one too.  Any set close to the handle is greatly multiplied near the tips.

This is my first time to back red oak with bamboo.  It seems to be holding just fine, but I've only fired a few arrows with it thus far. I really like the aesthetic combination so I'm hoping it'll hold up.

I'm curious as to how this can work.  I thought set was fairly permanent and that working a bow down to a lower draw weight would actually increase set.  This has to do with the tillering maxim of never pulling a bow more than its intended draw weight.  I might be missing out completely on some concept here.

Look at the profile for a bow with lots of set.  It'll have a crescent shape, with the tips being the highest points from level.  If you trim the ends, the highest points will be closer to level.  Lightening the pull and reducing the draw length help prevent set from increasing.  The ones I have to trim down I usually sell off to be youth bows.