Author Topic: General dimensions for a 9 yr. olds bow?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Hickoryswitch

General dimensions for a 9 yr. olds bow?
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:38:02 am »
My buddy's son would really like a bow and I have no idea how long or strong to make it. He is on the right path as he refuses to deer hunt with a cross bow and said he'll wait till he can shoot one with a bow. So I'm gonna try to build a bow to get him conditioned for a stronger bow and maybe get him shooting rabbits and squirrels. If any of you have built one and have some general dimensions as guidelines I would appreciate it.
Wayne Silverthorn

radius

Re: General dimensions for a 9 yr. olds bow?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:08 am »
hickory, 50" long, 1" wide for the center 30", tapering to  1/2" tips.  Make it 5/8" thick to start and tiller down.  Recurve the tips.  These dimensions can turn out a decent little bow which is not too hard for the kid but will still shoot fairly fast for its weight.

radius

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:12:22 pm »
Thanks for the information.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:24:37 pm »
I usually  make  it  as  tall as the kid. 1 in wide is good. Let it bend in the handle. Mark off a 4 in handle and leave it alone while tillering. Narrow to 3/8 in handles  just past mid limb. KIS. You'll be making another before you know it. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:09:09 pm »
I usually  make  it  as  tall as the kid. 1 in wide is good. Let it bend in the handle. Mark off a 4 in handle and leave it alone while tillering. Narrow to 3/8 in handles  just past mid limb. KIS. You'll be making another before you know it. :) Jawge
What George said. If it is a tall 9 year old it would be different than for a short 9 year old. I think he meant 3/8" tips though.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:58:48 pm »
oops. I  did mean 3/8" tips.  Leave the handle wide. Bend in the handle  bows are awesome. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!